Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel system issue?

rtitteri
08-30-2009, 07:17 PM
96 Cherokee Sport, 4.0 V6 104,000

If it sits overnight and I start it the next day it seems like it struggles slightly to fire up, and then the first 30 seconds or so while idling it seems as if its missing a little bit... once I pull out it runs fine. (possibly loosing fuel pressure when cold?)

However, if I make a short trip after its been running and start it back up, it starts with no issue at all. Also in this case (after running) it will occasionally lose power for a brief moment after traveling a few hundred feet, but then runs smoothly after that. I've also thought fuel pump, or a component of it.

Doesn't seem to be a huge concern.... yet, but I'd like to figure it out before it gets worse!

Thanks!

P.S. I tried the Lucas Fuel Additive to lube the fuel system, and it seems to help some... also helps mileage. For about 10 bucks for the big bottle (several tank treatments) I recommend everyone try it!

oljeeptek
09-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Hold the throttle open slightly on a cold start. If it helps you may have a sticky idle control valve. Does it rev itself to high idle still on cold start?

If it's no different I suspect your indeed losing fuel pressure and getting air in the line so it has to burp it out for proper fuel pressure. (it messes up the mixture the ecm thinks it's providing until it clears.) You can check for fuel leaking into the regulator hose. Then you'll need to let it sit with a fuel pressure guage on it to diagnose properly.

rtitteri
09-02-2009, 02:08 PM
If this is the case (air in the line) and it seems to be... what are the possible solutions? Cost? Difficulty?

Also, how urgent is this issue?

Add your comment to this topic!