Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A couple of problems with my P10

G20t Driver
10-25-2001, 12:32 PM
Okay, the first problem is a very strange noise coming from under te hood, it is a whining/howling noise coming from the front side of the engine(the side with the pullies). It sounds almost like a belt or a pump going out.

The second is when my lights are on and I brake and signal right at the same time my right taillight goes out. Also my front right corner marker is out, could this BE the problem or just another symptom of a larger one.

Please help, it would be greatly appreciated.

GtRider
10-25-2001, 11:56 PM
hey G20t Driver,
i think that one of your belts is going bad, try to spray some belt dressing on it.

about the lights....
try checking all the fuses, and put new bulbs where is needed.
try to see if any wires is grounding or something!

greekman
10-26-2001, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by GtRider
hey G20t Driver,
i think that one of your belts is going bad, try to spray some belt dressing on it.

about the lights....
try checking all the fuses, and put new bulbs where is needed.
try to see if any wires is grounding or something!

what's belt dressing?

GtRider
10-26-2001, 11:53 AM
belt dressing is something like WD-40, its a lubricant that you spray on the belts that should make them quiet..

G20t Driver
10-26-2001, 02:17 PM
GTrider, I wasn't sure but I know I need new belts, they are 90k miles old. I have purchased new ones but have not put them on yet(I know how but someone stole my jack and stands). But I have never heard a car make this noise when a belt goes out, usually they make a squealing noise instead of a howl.

Thanks for the advice, I will try what you said. If I remember I will post the results so that anyone else with this problem will have an idea of what to do before they blow all their money on any parts that aren't needed.

primera man
10-26-2001, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by G20t Driver

The second is when my lights are on and I brake and signal right at the same time my right taillight goes out. Also my front right corner marker is out, could this BE the problem or just another symptom of a larger one.

Please help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Check that all bulbs are making a good contact in the bulb holder and check that any wires are not rubbing though on to the frame anywhere.

G20t Driver
10-26-2001, 07:16 PM
I fixed the lighting problem, it was just a blown bulb. I went ahead and replaced both sides since the other was almost out.

So that's one down and one to go.

GtRider
10-26-2001, 10:09 PM
also try checking the pullies to see if there loose..

G20t Driver
10-31-2001, 03:03 PM
I put the new belts on and it still makes that awful noise. I checked the pullies and they are all tight. Would new belts need belt dressing or could it be a pump going out? :help:

primera man
11-01-2001, 01:33 AM
Make sure they are not to tight or to loose. Your should only be able to move the belt half a inch.

Try some belt dressing and also check they are fitted correctly and are the correct type.

G20t Driver
11-01-2001, 10:50 AM
Make sure they are not to tight or to loose. Your should only be able to move the belt half a inch.

How do you tell if the belts are to tight? I can move them about a quarter inch, is that to tight?

G20t Driver
11-01-2001, 12:21 PM
I was messing around in the engine compartment again and it sounds like it could be coming from inside the engine toward the front. Could it be a timing chain or the tensioner?

G20t Driver
11-03-2001, 02:33 PM
I took the car to have the noise diagnosed and the mechanic said it was the A/C compressor. We took the belt off and sure enough the noise stopped. So, that brings me to a new question. Would it be a bad idea to buy a used compressor or should I get a new one?

A380Driver
11-03-2001, 04:24 PM
Depends how often you use the A/C...

and...while you're there, Id also think about the last time u changed the waterpump and so forth...plus its a good time to put on some UR pulleys :sun:

G20t Driver
11-05-2001, 12:24 AM
I don't use the A/C all that much, mostly when my girl is in the car. I really don't care about the heat. The water pump is new, it was replaced when I had the engine rebuilt. I was already thinking about installing underdrive pulleys when I get the A/C compressor replaced. All of this can get expensive and I don't have much cash right now because of other car problems that I had to fix.

donsster
11-07-2001, 09:53 AM
I had the same problem with my P10. As I recall, once the compressor really died, the charging and ventilation system didn't work correctly either, so I couldn't just ditch the A/C alltogether.
Replacing the stuff and recharging the A/C system was expensive (~US$900) but it was the only major repair that I ever needed to do to my P10.

Don McLaurin

G20t Driver
11-07-2001, 11:35 AM
Ouch, that must have hurt. $900 dollars?! I guess I got a low estimate then. The mechanic that I went to said it would be only $420-$450. Maybe that is a testament of the quality of his work. You know cheap service means cheap work.

What do you mean they didn't work correctly, was it not charging? If that is so then I better repair it soon.

Thanks for the advice.

P.S. I did not notice until now that I made three posts in a row. You people must think I am a nutcase.:jump:

speediva
11-07-2001, 12:14 PM
Slightly off topic here: Does anyone else's AC totally suck? Mine sucks a ton of energy, and it doesn't even do a good job of cooling things down... Is this normal? Should I have someone look it over?

oh, and the fan speed control is also shot (as in I have 2 speeds.... level 2 and level 4... I don't even get "off" as a choice) Is this tied into a bigger problem??? :confused:

Nismoboy1
11-07-2001, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by saturntangerine
Slightly off topic here: Does anyone else's AC totally suck? Mine sucks a ton of energy, and it doesn't even do a good job of cooling things down... Is this normal? Should I have someone look it over?

oh, and the fan speed control is also shot (as in I have 2 speeds.... level 2 and level 4... I don't even get "off" as a choice) Is this tied into a bigger problem??? :confused:

hmm...sounds like you might need a recharge, do you know if your a/c system requires r-12 or r-134a refrigerant? if its r-12, that can become quite expensive for a recharge, some people even do a r-12 to r-134a conversion, depending on how long you plan on keeping your car...but r-134a you can do yourself for pretty cheap...

and the fan deal could be your blower resister, you can probably replace that yourself, i think its like $30 or so at the stealership, but i could be wrong

donsster
11-07-2001, 03:30 PM
The G20 A/C is a sealed system, so it should never need a recharge (unless you do a motor swap or something like that). If it seems "out of refigerant", then you have a leak also.

G20t, the $900 was for a new compressor and evaporator unit, along with refrigerant recharge, $65/hr labor etc. That was at a dealer, so your costs may be less!
When my A/C went out, the vent system also didn't work, and it spewed smoke into the cabin for a while...Not fun!

Don McLaurin

speediva
11-08-2001, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Nismoboy1

hmm...sounds like you might need a recharge, do you know if your a/c system requires r-12 or r-134a refrigerant? if its r-12, that can become quite expensive for a recharge, some people even do a r-12 to r-134a conversion, depending on how long you plan on keeping your car...but r-134a you can do yourself for pretty cheap...

and the fan deal could be your blower resister, you can probably replace that yourself, i think its like $30 or so at the stealership, but i could be wrong

Thanx, I"ll look into that! :flash:

Add your comment to this topic!