Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'97 LeSabre error codes

jcc3inc
08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Well, it is time to have the State review the car emission check again.

My '97 LeSabre has two codes, P1406 and P0107. I have replaced the EGR and "O" ring to solve P1406.

Some suggestions for P0107, MAF sensor, were vacuum hose leaks and looseness of the throttle body.

I will look over these two this afternoon, but would like ideas from others who are experienced here.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Regards,
Jack C.

jcc3inc
09-05-2009, 09:39 AM
FYI here are my results:

#1 Found the MAP sensor was non-functional so I replaced it. A voltmeter check showed no change in output from engine not running to engine idling. Error code was P0107

#2 Code P1406; I took off the EGR unit (which was replaced about 10,000 miles ago and 2 years ago). I checked the resistance range and found that it did not get to the lower limit required. On careful examination, I saw a small carbon ring aroung the pintle surrounding it where it seated. This was removed, the valve head and seat cleaned with a small strip of sandpaper. Unfortunately the unit is sealed so you can't get inside the small chamber to thoroughly clean it so it may have to be done in another 10,000 miles! Rechecking the resistance it now went completely over the range. A reasonable drive test after the repair shower no error codes.

Jack C.

HotZ28
09-05-2009, 03:40 PM
In regards to the EGR, you may have a valve stem seal leak, causing excessive carbon buildup around the pintle. How many miles on the engine? You can use carburetor cleaner inside the EGR cavity to clean and loosen the carbon on the back side of the pintel. Keep the EGR inverted so as to not let the carb cleaner drain into the electronic solenoids. Let it sit for about 1-hour with the carb cleaner, then use a brass brush to clean under the seat. Pour out the carb cleaner and use brake clean for the final wash, then dry with compressed air. Next, soak the same cavity with PB-Blaster and rotate to allow the penetrate to soak the pintel rod well for about 15-min while moving the pintel back & forth off of the seat with a small screwdriver, then pour the excess out. (do not blow out with air) then reinstall.

Add your comment to this topic!