Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Making bolt heads from styrene hex rods

racer93
08-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but here goes, anyway:

What I'm looking to do is to make my own bolt heads with 1mm styrene hex rod and I need for it to be level to look accurate, obviously. Has anyone done this before? If so, what's the easiest way of cutting sytrene rod so that it's level? Maybe a mitre box with a hobby saw?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Daniel

tuned.by.twenty
08-27-2009, 08:23 PM
A mitre box and hobby saw is my method and it works just fine.

CrateCruncher
08-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Whenever I cut wire, tube or rod I usually take the following approach whether hex or not. I file or sand the end before the cut to as close to even as possible (this is the end that will show). Then I mark the length all the way around the rod. Then I press my #11 on the mark while rolling the rod on a firm surface until it slices through. They call it roll cutting and its a great technique to learn. Eventually you'll get good enough you don't have to mark the rod all the way around.

hirofkd
08-27-2009, 08:36 PM
I just use a hobby knife, and cut out a whole bunch, like twice or three times more than I need. Then, pick out the good-looking ones with a similar height. ;)

360spider
08-27-2009, 11:02 PM
I just use a hobby knife, and cut out a whole bunch, like twice or three times more than I need. Then, pick out the good-looking ones with a similar height. ;)

Yep, that is what I do too!

flyonthewall
08-28-2009, 01:49 PM
One method I use for cutting styrene strip, rod or tube etc is this...

Drill a hole, at 90 degrees, the same diameter as the rod you are cutting, through a solid block of some sort, you can use a thin offcut of wood for this but I prefer to make a block of styrene made up of 3 or 4 offcuts of styrene sheet laminated together. You then poke the rod through the hole leaving the end to protrude to the same length you wish to cut, then slice off the end with a blade (single edge razors work best) running across the surface of the block as a sort of guilotine.

drunken monkey
08-28-2009, 02:42 PM
what the guy above said:

making a cutting jig of sorts is the only real way to get almost identical pieces.
Also, you'll tend to get better results using a (photo etch) saw instead of a knife due to the way they "cut".

Add your comment to this topic!