Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

please please help

jeff.ebel
08-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Okay so first thing first. 1999 chevy tahoe, 5.7 liter 4x4. I was doing a head gasket job and now I am a little stumped. I had it running but I could still hear some clattering in the odd side of the rockers/valves. sooo I took of the cover and did the manual adjusting and put it all back together.

Now the big problem, It wont start and it sounds a little whinny. Also its dumping massive amounts of fuel into the upper intake. Causing I guess you would call it blow back when i open the throttle. You can hear that it wants to start but won't. Please any ideas?

I double checked the plug wires they are correct, everything appears to be hooked back up correctly. If anyone wants I will happily give you my number and I can let you hear it first hand.

Jeff :runaround:

maxwedge
08-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Sounds like the valves are too tight or grossly out of time. Back off the valve adjustment with each cylinder at tdc till there is a lttle play in the rocker arms, then use that as a starting point to see if it will fire, you did something wrong in this process. It was running till you tried to quiet it down, no?

jeff.ebel
08-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah, was running but was rough. took stethoscope and odd side was clattering away badly. So took it to TDC #1 and check and adjusted from there as per manual. I'll take it back off and see what happens. This is very frustrating considering I am not just a beginner DIYer.

Jeff

777stickman
08-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Try this adjusting the valves per this site.

http://www.classiccarauto.com/impala/how_to/adjust_valves.shtml

jeff.ebel
09-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys I found some Rocker Knockers after 3/4 of a day of searching got them adjusted and the truck is alive once again. Thanks for all the good advice.

Jeff

Add your comment to this topic!