Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

replace strut plate or entire thing

becs
08-26-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm getting a rubbing noise whenever I turn, the garage tells me it's the bearing in the bearing plate. They are trying to convince me to replace the entire assembly (strut, coil and plate) on both sides for ~$1k (after taxes). Alternatively it's about half that to just get the plate replaced (I assume they are just looking at doing one side, but I'm not sure).

I am playing with the idea of doing this myself. If I just do the plate the parts run about $75 each, but it's a lot of work (and I'd need to buy or rent a spring compressor, have the rest of the tools though).

If I look at replacing the entire assembly I'm looking at only a savings of $150 of labour and maybe the cost of the alignment to do it myself. The cost of the parts look to be about the same (and makes up most of the cost).

Should I look at getting the entire assembly replaced, or just the strut plates? The car is a 2003 Alero with over 180,000km (~110,000miles) on it. I'm not looking to sink a lot of money into right now, but otherwise it's in good condition.

BNaylor
08-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Welcome to AF.

Are the current struts original? If so based on your mileage they should be replaced. It is up to you on replacing the complete strut assembly based on cost and your DIY capability.

The upper strut mount load bearing on the front end is a common problem. We had ours replaced under warranty.

undersc0re
09-02-2009, 07:46 PM
I had the same problem on my Alero at 160,000 km. That bearing mount up top rusts and will wear out. You know its bad when your car starts pulling to one side and it crunches and clicks and squeeks! I would replace the entire assembly, it will ride nice and quiet as well after! I still have the rattle at the back from my sway bar mounts :-( Its never ending!

Add your comment to this topic!