Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Increase Horse Power on 03 Venture

DOWN ,n DIRTY
08-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi folks, I'm a newbie and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas to get more horse power out of my 2003 Venture?

roadrunner2
08-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Hi folks, I'm a newbie and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas to get more horse power out of my 2003 Venture?

I don't want to really rain on your parade, but the hp you can gain on these 3.4L engines (In my mind) isn't worth the time or cost. The computers have to be reprogrammed too.

I've read posts in the past where guys have tried to add stuff but only gained a few hp.

gearhead514.2008
09-19-2009, 08:52 PM
I have one of these vans and I'm kinda a horsepower junkie like yourself. I had to put a new engine in my van due to the dreaded intake gaskets. I had a freshly rebuilt engine when I did this. I took the exhaust completely off and gutted the catalytic converters since they were melted anyway. I then removed both mufflers, and yes there are two. I put a dynomax muffler in place of the larger one and a piece of straight pipe in place of the smaller one. Then I bought a universal cold air filter like the ones at Autozone and installed it on the end of the flexible, rubber intake duct. Remove the old filter and retainer. Unfortunately you have to leave in the air cleaner box due to the PCM being in there. The cold air filter will rest on this and keep the filter in place. After all of this, I could step on the pedal and smoke the wheels until it shifted. It was a lot faster. However, there is one downfall, your check engine light will stay on because your rear O2 sensor will throw a catalyst efficiency code due to no catalytic converter. I know its not a major horsepower increase, but every little bit helps. Good luck!

Note: Do not buy those guaranteed horsepower computer chips for $20 on the internet that recalibrate the computer by plugging a stupid resistor into the IAT sensor plug. They actually make it run worse. Lesson learned.

AdVenture
09-20-2009, 03:30 PM
to gearhead: I'm not sure if they make them for the Venture but in the case of the light coming on for the o2 sensors, theres an o2 sensor that makes the computer believe it has a catalytic converter. I drag race mustangs and they sell them for the stangs. BUT it will fail an inspection, it just gets rid of the light. Searching the internet I found someone who was selling a turbocharged Venture,lol.

gearhead514.2008
09-21-2009, 08:07 PM
To AdVenture,

Thanks for the info. I have heard about the MIL bypass harness for the Mustang O2 sensors. I am a Mustang fanatic myself. I am currently building a drag car out of my 94 Mustang. That would be neat to see a turbocharged Venture. That thing should really move. Despite the intake gasket problems, the 3.4L motors are built tough. They have a bulletproof bottom end. I'm sure they can handle the power. I thought about installing a 75 horsepower nitrous kit and spraying into the intake to see what would happen. Maybe someday when the numbers on my lottery tickets match. Anyways thanks for the info. TTYL.

AdVenture
09-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Gearhead why don't you join us at SVTSnake.com for the Mustang. I post as Heff's Mustang there.

Add your comment to this topic!