Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

3 Q's; Brake system, Keyless entry, Stereo Compatibility

Schlotzky
08-25-2009, 05:28 PM
1995 Park Avenue Ultra; 136,456 miles.

First question is in regards to my ABS and Traction Control OFF lights coming on either instantly after key on, or when I start moving. My first gut feeling was to replace the front wheel Hubs, but I've been having technical difficulties getting them, so it hasn't happened yet. (shipped to me damaged [I did hook them up and the lights acted the same]) Is there something other than the hubs that would cause both lights to come on on startup 95% of the time? (occassionally I will make it 10 minutes+ without the lights)

Second: My 96 Camaro has a programmable keyless entry system; ie I can make the car honk once/twice and flash lights or other combinations including no lights or horn by entering a programming mode in the car. Does my 95 Park Ave have the same type system? ie can I get the lights to flash upon lock/unlock with the keyfob? if so, how do I enter programming mode?

Third: I noticed the stereos in 95 have their own part number, different from any other year. Will a factory CD/Cassette deck work in my car out of any other years/makes/models? I would like to retain use of the steering wheel controls, and I like the factory radio, and would rather not go aftermarket.

TIA!
Troy

Schlotzky
08-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Anyone have any insight to any of these questions?

Schlotzky
09-03-2009, 12:44 PM
My ABS system is throwing these codes:

45: Power Interruption Detected
52: RR Outlet Valve Circuit Malfunction

Can someone lead me in the right direction?

Schlotzky
09-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Brake problem mysteriously went away, and I ended up buying an aftermarket radio.

I'd still like to know if the factory keyless entry system is programmable.

Jrs3800
09-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Your factory system is not programmable..:)

Schlotzky
09-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks for you're reply. That's disappointing to hear, but rather suspected.

The brake problem is back. A dealer tech told me the first place he would jump is the BPMV, or Brake Pressure Modulator Valve. Does this sound right to anyone? It's quite an expensive part, and looks to be a fairly involved swap, so I'd rather not jump on anything if there is another place I should start first.

I did go ahead and clean up the connector to the BPMV, I'll get back on whether or not that helped.

Jrs3800
09-16-2009, 10:27 PM
The ABS / Traction Pump most likely has a bad input or output pressure sensor/ switch... I had an issue like that and ended up replacing the ABS / TRAC pump with a unit from the wrecker.. Its been a couple of years with no issues..

Schlotzky
09-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I figured I would replace the BPMV with a unit from a junk yard. I figured the guys at the junk yard wouldn't know much about it, and wouldn't charge much for it. How much did you get yours for?

Schlotzky
10-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Replaced it and all is well now. Paid 40 bucks for it and a bunch of other stuff at the junk yard. At least 20 bucks worth of other stuff. Plus 7 bucks in brake fluid. Decently easy install, very messy, and irritating, but certainly not the worst car project I've done. Just figured I'd update.

Jrs3800
10-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Glad to hear you got it fixed... Its great to have ABS in these cars...lol

Schlotzky
10-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Amen to that. Coming from a Camaro with 275 wide performance tires at all four corners, I feel like these tires are made of hard plastic. There is a driveway exit from my local safeway that exits onto a hill. When it's wet, even if I CRAWL out of it, one of my front wheels spins for second until the tcs kicks in. Braking is almost as bad. I'm definitely glad to have ABS and TCS back. I guess that's the difference between 215 touring and 275 high performance tires...

Add your comment to this topic!