Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Acura CL suspension squeaks

silveragemarvel
08-25-2009, 03:18 PM
I have a 97 Acura 3.0 CL that I bought 6 years ago. The car has always had these front suspension squeaks especially noticeable during braking at slow speed. My daughter took the car to college and has since returned the car to my possession. I just replaced the worn front sway bar bushings which tightened up the suspension but the squeaks are still there. I suspect some bushings (upper control arm??) are worn as I had a similar problem on a 89 Toyota Camry on which I replaced the worn lower control arm bushings and problem went away. What is the most likely area that is making the squeaking noises on the Acura? The bushings on this car is practically impossible to see without taking things apart. I see that folks have lubricated the bushings but based on experience when bushing start to squeak it's a sign or wear so I want to do the right thing and fix it. Any special tool or techniques required to replace these bushings? Thought I post this here instead of the suspension thread. Thank you.:smokin:

BullShifter
10-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Lower ball joints usually are the only thing to squeak on Acura's

silveragemarvel
10-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey Bullshifter again!!

In my younger days of professional wrenching, un-explanable squeaks were almost always due to ball joints but not in this case. I found the source. It was one of the upper control arm bushings (metal insert) rubbing against the control arm itself. The bushing assembly was one of those older camber kits installed by previous owner. when I bought the car for my daughter (going to college) I re-raised the car back to stock height with stock wheels, new springs and struts. I didn't know at the time it had the camber kit. After she graduated she returned the car to me. Now, would the previous owner also have installed camber kits in the rear? He probably did as the car was lowered. thank you.

350GT
10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey Bullshifter again!!

In my younger days of professional wrenching, un-explanable squeaks were almost always due to ball joints but not in this case. I found the source. It was one of the upper control arm bushings (metal insert) rubbing against the control arm itself. The bushing assembly was one of those older camber kits installed by previous owner. when I bought the car for my daughter (going to college) I re-raised the car back to stock height with stock wheels, new springs and struts. I didn't know at the time it had the camber kit. After she graduated she returned the car to me. Now, would the previous owner also have installed camber kits in the rear? He probably did as the car was lowered. thank you.

I had the same issue with my car and it was what you were talking about. I bought a civic as a project car. I took my time with everythign from the engine to the cockpit to the exhaust to the frame. I drove it and i heard that horrible noise :(

I stripped the car practically just to find out, what was wrong with it. SO i just wen OEM and replaced the whole suspension front and rear :)

No more noises!!

i went this site to buy OEM parts, maybe you guys might be interested in using this site as well. I love their site great service and pricing.

Easy to use website and cool features to let you save your car so next time when you order your vehicles information is already there

Add your comment to this topic!