Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

timeing issue

marinetanker18
08-24-2009, 07:24 PM
hey guys on my 85 its got the 2.5l, ive rebuilt the carb, did the bypass thing with the ignition, new plugs wires cap rotor,i tryed to set the timing the other day, my manuel said 19 deg btdc, but when i tryed to set it to this the jeep would hardley run, started to backfire and stuff,, so i moved it back to where it was and its not even on the timeing marks, its at like 25 or so, i dont have a vacum delay valve in the vaccum advance line, eny thoughts?

rhandwor
08-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Read a Haynes manual and make sure your on the proper marks. Follow guidelines to temporarily disable computer to set base timing.
You can go to a library and read manual free.

marinetanker18
08-24-2009, 09:24 PM
ive been going by a factory service manual, the timing marks are in increments of 4, the manual says to disconect the vacum advance and set base timing to 19 deg btdc if above 4k feet, which i am. 12 deg if below 4k feet, ive done this like 5 or 6 times and its the same thing every time , no power, stuttering, will hardley idle, whats the possibility that it jumped a tooth on the timing chain?

gtmud
08-26-2009, 05:22 AM
Sounds like your harmonic balancer may have slipped! This would cause all of your issues, especially setting the timing at the right mark, but it running like crud. Would recommend pulling # 1 plug and set it to TDC using a long skinny screwdriver in the plug hole while turning the crank to find TDC. Look where your balancer is positioned, its probably off a couple degrees. Hope this sheds some light.

oljeeptek
09-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Also make sure your disconnecting the proper vac switch assy. You should be going after the 3 wire connector going to the twin round solenoids. they kind of resemble little nuke reactors. There should be a red wire, black wire, and a green wire in it. this acts as a Jeep map sensor. The other vac switches, usually on the valve cover aren't the correct ones for timing. (federal emissions anyway).

I don't mean to be vague, but it's been a while.

rhandwor
09-01-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure about this vehicle but I've found vacuum advances go bad. Normally if you use a vacuum pump you can observe it moving the plate in the distributor. Some people use a longer hose and suck on it to move the base plate.

Add your comment to this topic!