Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

odd thing happened

racerxpl
08-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Anyone ever have a gas door fall off? It hasn't fallen yet but it has gone crooked and a peice of metal came out. I think it is a spring of some sort. I have a 94 corsica.

jsgold
08-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Very common....these rust badly and fail. Many will fall off eventually. Only thing you can do is get one at a junkyard, sand and paint it best you can. Last time I priced a new one they were over 80 dollars...probably higher now.

racerxpl
08-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Wow. I am headed for the junk yard today to get running parts for my mazda so I guess I will find a gas door too! It looks like there maybe some nuts to undo under the dirt in the fender well. Thanks

jsgold
08-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Good luck! Yes there are two #10 nuts there, easy to remove. The big problem is finding one in good shape. Last one I bought was installed not too long before car was wrecked so I got a real clean one. But usually you will have to search a bit and do some sanding and painting. I used rust paint and then matched as close I could the color of the original, using the old front, since it was in good shape and matched color exactly.

racerxpl
08-26-2009, 01:39 AM
It must have been my lucky day. I found two perfect drivelines for the mazda, the gas door on the first corsica I came to was perfect and even found a trunk release button in good shape. Put the gas door on as soon as he got home with the car. The thing was pretty hard to line up so the door itself was in the center of the hole and flush with the body.

Add your comment to this topic!