Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New here with a quick q on maintenance

coookies
08-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Hi, I'm Katie, new here :)

I drive a 2001 cavalier, bought it used with 36,000 miles on it and it now has 87,000 miles on it. I haven't done any regular maintenance on it since I bought it other than oil changes (sometimes waiting way too long lol), replacing the breaks and tires. Being a busy student and not knowing jack about cars hasn't been really done me or my car any favors, but my car has shown me a lot of love, still runs like I bought it yesterday... so I'd like to take it in for some TLC but not sure what to ask for, especially when it comes to fluids since I haven't changed any in the time I've had the car, and I've heard that changing things like the transmission fluid after 40k or so miles will just screw up the transmission. Should I ask for a total tune up? What would be safe to do for maintenance to a car that has been regretfully slightly neglected by its well-meaning owner?

thanks, hope I am posting this in the right spot - it isn't a problem yet and well, the trick is to keep it that way :)
~Katie

dewaynep
08-24-2009, 12:53 PM
2 things come to mind: 1. change your fuel filter (I just replaced a fuel pump on a customer's Cavi because they hadn't changed the fuel filter in 100,000 miles). 2. Get the transmission fluid and filter changed. Don't get it flushed, get the filter and fluid changed. Should be about $100 for those 2 items. The tune-up stuff could wait a few thousands miles more unless you are noticing a hesitation or rough idle.

J-Ri
08-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Welcome to AF.

It probably needs an air filter as well, pretty good chance you've still got the original one in there. The air filter is very easy to do yourself, just need a small flat screwdriver and a #3 phillips -or- 3/8" flat. Pop the cable out of the holders betweeen the battery and air box with the little screwdriver and then remove the 4 scewd holding the box together.

You need to flush the transmission, not just change the fluid. Find a shop that has a BG flush machine. I know for a fact that it isn't one of the ones that causes problems. I know there are other good ones, but I couldn't tell you any names. I've personally done hundreds of flushes with ours without a single problem. The reason a transmission must be flushed (especially with this many miles) is that there are cleaning agents in the transmission fluid. Over time as the fluid wears out, so do the cleaners, and you get gum and varnish that fall out of the fluid and stick inside the transmission. When you put the new fluid in without flushing first, the new fluid is able to clean out everything but is unable to hold it in suspension and it all ends up getting dumped in the pan which plugs the filter which drops the pressure which lets the clutches/bands slip which burns them up which destroys the transmission.

You will also probably want to flush the P/S system, the hoses deteriorate from the inside and the small chunks of rubber that come off get compressed. They feel about like sand... not good to have that circulating through the pump or rack.

Check the coolant. If there's any sludge in it, have it flushed.

Tuneup is due at 100,000, I believe. I'd wait until then to do it unless you have any drivability problems. I'd wait on the fuel filter too, and do it at the same time as the tuneup. They have a very large capacity compared to the engine size... the V8 trucks have the same size filter and will go 100,000 miles on the original one... with well over twice the amount of fuel being filtered.

The belt is also probably starting to get pretty cracked, may be time to replace it.

It may need other things as well. Ask around and find a shop with a good reputation and just have them look over the whole car and tell you what it needs.

Add your comment to this topic!