Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

High Idle speed

womer1
08-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Just bought me an 1989 2.0 5 speed Turbo SE. car runs good put new plugs wires reset timming but the thing is running fast over 5 grand in neutral. Could it be a vacum leak and where should I look first:headshake

MagicRat
08-25-2009, 08:00 AM
That's a heck of a vacuum leak to make it run so fast.

First, look at the thorottle cable, linkage and throttle return spring. Make sure they are not loose, broken or binding.
Check the throttle valve. Take off the air intake hose and look to make sure the throttle valve is actually closed at idle. Also do this check when the engine is running, too.

If all this checks out, look at the intake manifold to make sure all vacuum hoses are attached and there are no big holes, missing equipment or cracks. Make sure all bolts are reasonably tight. Look at the routing for all vacuum lines and make sure none are disconnected

If nothing is obvious, listen for a whistling noise when the engine is running... usually vacuum leaks that big are pretty noisy and easy to trace.

womer1
08-28-2009, 06:33 AM
Found 1 good vacume leak and a small one RPM dropped to 4000 but since I do not know what the normal RPM should be I am at a lost My manual just tells me Idle speed is controled by the computer. Could I have a bad RPM sensor. Could you tell me where the RPM sensor and the sensor for the speedometer are located

womer1
08-31-2009, 06:35 AM
I changed the Idle Air Control sensor and the Fuel Filter and have now gotten the RPM down to just under 3000 anything else that I can look at Throttle postion sensor maybe

Add your comment to this topic!