Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Girlfriend's Corsica stalls after long drive.

1986-BMW-535i
08-22-2009, 11:00 AM
1990 Chevy Corsica/Automatic.

This might be two problems, but i don't know. First one: this happens when the car is driven a long distance on the highway (about an hour or more)... when the car is slowed down, and then stopped at a light (when exiting the freeway after a long drive) the car will shake really bad, and die... when you try to start it again and get on the gas, it will die repeatedly. It normally takes 4 or 5 times before it will work. I thought it might have been that the auto transmission was refusing to shift back down to first, but i don't know.

second problem: (I was not here when this happened, so it is just based on what she told me) when driving on the highway, the car has recently started to do some type of jerking once in a while. she said it happens when she is going about 70... out of nowhere is will start to jerk (almost like it was speeding up and slowing down slightly, from what she told me). I don't know... but she seemed to have the impression that it might have been related to cruise control... not for sure though.

racerxpl
08-22-2009, 02:41 PM
You should be in park when starting so the transmission shifting isn't the problem with restarting. It sounds like a computer problem for both. Take it in and have them check the codes on it.

jsgold
08-22-2009, 06:14 PM
The stalling problem is a typical TCC failure. It is a small solenoid in the transmission, only costs 25 bucks but 150 to have installed. A transmission shop needs to install it, it is a bear to try on your own with a 90 model. To be sure, unplug the 4 prong connector at top of the tranny, on right side. If you habe a v-6 motor it would be under the air box assembly. Many if you unplug this and the stalling stops you have have it fixed or leave it unhooked. Will only cost you a little gas mileage. We unplugged ours at 155K, still going at 240K, with a different owner.
The other problem is hard to say....not enough to go on. But be sure the car is tuned well, air ducts to engine are not split open, clean the IAC control to be sure it is working OK, and watch for any check engine lights. Common for an engien that old to have a weak coil, might be mis firing on one cylinder but just guessing.

Add your comment to this topic!