Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Chevy Cavalier No Start

lowside
08-22-2009, 09:10 AM
My 1996 Chevy Cavalier with the 2.2 engine won't start with no spark, I have changed the crank position sensor and I have had the ignition module/ coil checked and both were ok. A mechanic from local chevy dealer said that these cars are known for having electrical issues between sensors and pc. Main reason the pc harness runs under the radiator.

So I started with the crank sensor it has three wires coming from the sensor. One wire is red, one is pink/ black, the other is blue /white, I have trace them back to the pc and found that the red wire does not have continuity from sensor to pc and according to the haynes service booklet it connects at pin 24 on the pc.

At first, I thought maybe it was a fuse but all of them checked out ok.

The other two wires have continuity and are used to get a 7x reference signal.

The question that I have is about the red lead since there appears to be an open circuit from the crank sensor to pc, in the service book it looks like some type of relay from sensor to pc, what role does it play in starting the car?

J-Ri
08-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Post a picture of that wiring diagram if you can. I don't remember ever seeing anything that looks like a relay in a sensor circuit.

xFatcatx
08-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Sorry lowside I have no idea what your issue is, but I was curious on how you went about changing the crank sensor? I did it last night on my sisters 98 2.2l auto and it was a pita.

J-Ri
08-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Either from the top or remove the RF wheel and go from the side. I do a combination of the two... it's a PITA whatever way you do it. '98 is actually a bit easier than the older ones, on the older ones you have to remove the coil packs and ignition module to get to the crank sensor.

Tony Silva
08-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Check that the ignition module under neath the coils have 12 volts going to it. It will be the white wire with black stripe.

lowside
09-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Problem solved, I forgot to connected up the lead/ harness that ties in the crank position/ cam sensor and knock sensor to the pcm. My original problem was a open wire from pcm to crank position sensor, so I went to the junk yard and got the identical harnesses to make a test harness to check all of the connections for continuity. Somehow during testing I forgot to connect it back in.

Then I received a reply from manicmechanix, to effect of telling me to check the ignition module for pluses. As I proceed to check the module I noticed the a wire hanging, as soon as I plugged the leads together and cranked the engine the module sparked.

Thanks manicmechanix

Add your comment to this topic!