Brake Vibration

Bojib
08-22-2009, 08:30 AM
This is happening on my Wife's 07 Sebring. It has somewhere in the neighborhood of 45,000 miles on it.

Not long after she first got it, she started having some brake issues. When she would go to stop, the steering wheel would shake all over the place. So, since it was still under warranty at that time, she took it back to the dealer she bought it from.

They turned the rotors and put new brakes all the way around. Ripped a new butthole in her on price and sent her on her way. Not long after the warranty ran out.

The problem started again. She had her mechanic do basically the same work to the front brakes again. Turned rotors, new brakes. Decent price this time though.

Once again, same problem. So this time we bought brand new rotors for it, put new brakes on again, and it worked for a little while. But again, the almost violent shaking is back. There might be 4000 miles on the brakes now.

I'm having my doubts that there are problems with the rotors. It seems to be more of an issue with the brake pads themselves getting misaligned somehow.

I've jacked the front end up, checked the bearings, and they are tight as ever.

Is there something common to these cars that can cause this? Is there a fix for it?

racerxpl
08-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Had this problem on different car. One of the ABS plugs was loose. A bad ABS sensor could also be the problem. Also you could find the vacumn hose to the power assist unit. Make sure the fittings are tight.

sloechli
02-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Did you ever get the problem resolved?
I have a similar problem on a 2005 TSI, just did front brake job, Ceramic pads and new rotors, currently it brakes fine so I assume the problem WAS a warped rotor.

Steve

This is happening on my Wife's 07 Sebring. It has somewhere in the neighborhood of 45,000 miles on it.

Not long after she first got it, she started having some brake issues. When she would go to stop, the steering wheel would shake all over the place. So, since it was still under warranty at that time, she took it back to the dealer she bought it from.

They turned the rotors and put new brakes all the way around. Ripped a new butthole in her on price and sent her on her way. Not long after the warranty ran out.

The problem started again. She had her mechanic do basically the same work to the front brakes again. Turned rotors, new brakes. Decent price this time though.

Once again, same problem. So this time we bought brand new rotors for it, put new brakes on again, and it worked for a little while. But again, the almost violent shaking is back. There might be 4000 miles on the brakes now.

I'm having my doubts that there are problems with the rotors. It seems to be more of an issue with the brake pads themselves getting misaligned somehow.

I've jacked the front end up, checked the bearings, and they are tight as ever.

Is there something common to these cars that can cause this? Is there a fix for it?

jamesslcx
02-28-2012, 07:43 PM
sloechli, sounds like the op had the factory rotors turned too much and the heat warped them, also some of the cheap aftermarket rotors are very thin to start with. With rotors and brakes you get what you pay for. Glad to see you went with ceramic.

shrdwr
06-08-2012, 12:18 AM
Well I do not have shaking problem with my 07 Sebring, mine just eats the front pads like nothing else. I went through a set of ceramic pads in 2 months that is with 1/2 highway and 1/2 in town driving. It seems to wear the drivers side out quicker than the passenger side. I still have the original rotors on the cars.

Add your comment to this topic!