Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tacoma Driver Seat Squeak/Dash Rattle

Paul Sanders
04-04-2003, 06:00 PM
I going crazy over this mad squeak in the bottom and back portions of my driver's seat. Several squeaks happen during regular driving and cornering. I weigh 215, but come on!! Anyway, any feedback about ways to solve this will be greatly appreciated since I'm going bannana's with this problem. Thank got for loud stereo's!

Also the dash rattles, especially in the morning. It's right on top, in the middle, above the controls. I can push down and make it stop. I figure, I gotta pull off the dash plates and look underneath, but I'll take easier alternatives.

Thanks in advance for responding

Paul Sanders

mightybrick
06-24-2003, 03:27 PM
I have a 1999 SR5 TRD Tacoma, and my passenger seat has the rattles. I only hear it over large bumps. And there's also a funny little noise in the dash above the driver-side air vent. I don't know what it is. About the seat, my buddy that works at a Toyota dealership told me that the noise in the seats is a defect, and that all Tacoma's have this problem. I don't know if I can be of much more help. :smile: Let me know if you find out what is causing the squeak in the dash. Thanks!

S/C Prerunner
07-04-2003, 03:31 PM
My Tacoma has the same dash rattle. I pulled the whole dash apart & made sure all screws were tight & I still have the rattle!!! (Frustrating) I can also push down on the center of my dash & the noise quits?

My driver seat doesn't make any noise, but my passenger seat rattles. If someone heavy (180 or above) sits in it, it's okay, but when my girlfriend (about 125) sits in it, it squeeks.

Someone help us... There has to be a solution...

Carnalles
07-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Yup thats the same sqeek in the seat and rattle in the dash that my '02 Taco has. If I push in on the dash just below the lower driver side air vent then the whole dash will shift just a bit and stop that center rattle. I do this every morning and it works. dont go pushin really hard just some light firm pressure

S/C Prerunner
07-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Yea, I do the same to make it stop, but it only stops as long as I'm pushing on it? As soon as I let go it starts right back up again! Looks like a number of us have the same problem. Eventually I might pull the whole dash & put some weather stripping in there to keep it from moving. It's the best I can come up with for now. Untill then I'll just keep the tunes turned up...

Carnalles
07-09-2003, 04:46 PM
yeah, weather stripping will probably almost definetly stop that rattle but taking your dash off might just give you a couple more of those sweet sounding rattles.

zachary12
07-10-2003, 04:52 PM
mine squeaks to
i think the japs made the seats for them
both seats squeak and i weigh 210 i have had peopel that weigh 110 pounds that sit in it and it still squeaks
ihave had people tellme to not jump in or flop onthe seat that thats what makes it do it

coloradoben
09-02-2003, 11:10 AM
My dash rattles too. I just wedged a 1/2" thick piece of silicon rubber between the dash and the windshield (below the defrost vents) and that took care of it. It's not exactly a glamorous fix, but it works.

heavydc2
10-09-2003, 10:36 PM
My seat used to rattle. I brought it to a dealership and they tightened the seat down and no more squeek whatsoever.

I do have an annoying squeak out of my clutch that has been fixed 2 times already with a new bearing but I think its the whole clutch assembly that is the problem.

kirbyjrt
12-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Hell guys, same problem here with the seats and the dash. This is on an '02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD. Too many of us with this problem for this not to be a defect in this truck. Any ideas on getting this information directly to Toyota for resolution.

justbrowsin
01-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Same dash rattle on 99 Tacoma; right in the center. I carved a wedge out of rubber and stuck it between the glass and dash. This works fine, and when painted interior color is hardly noticable.

Sabelotodos
01-13-2004, 10:59 PM
My seat used to rattle. I brought it to a dealership and they tightened the seat down and no more squeek whatsoever.

I do have an annoying squeak out of my clutch that has been fixed 2 times already with a new bearing but I think its the whole clutch assembly that is the problem.

My 02 Tacoma also had a squeaky clutch pedal. I had to take it to the dealership several times to get replaced. Turns out that it was a bad bushing in the pedal assembly. My passeger seat squeaks too. I had the dashboard rattle also but the dealership fixed that by taking it apart and installing some foam padding underneath. Also, does anyone know of a good way to fix the rubber trim along the edges of the fender flares? Mine keeps coming unglued.

RyanNAK
01-19-2004, 02:04 AM
My 02' Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 has the same dash rattle but part time. I have been to the local dealer, they say it is fine. Have any of you guys notifed Toyota Corp or had any problems with the dealerships?

Also my manual trans has gotten real stiff when shifting. I only have 30k on the truck. I also had some problems with the brake burning up. I had two sets by 12,000 miles, I was the only driver on the vehicle. My Last 95.5 Tacoma 4x4 4cyl had 168,000 mile when I traded it in, only changed the battery, two sets of brakes, +reg maint and tires.

RAVchick
01-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Hi. Just want to say my 2002 RAV4 has the same freakin' dash rattle!! It is much worse when cold outside but is audible most all the time. I have had the dealer perform the TSB's, but nothing has fixed it yet.

Today, I test-drove a Toyota Matrix (2004), thinking I may trade my RAV because of this annoying rattle, and what did I hear in the 2004 Matrix but the SAME RATTLE coming from the dash!!!!! So, I started looking on Google tonight and saw you guys have posted about your Tacomas' dash rattle, and I also read about Lexus owners having the same problem with a dash rattle (Lexus is made by Toyota).

My car is a 2002, and it is still happening in the 2004 RAVS. There is a long thread about the 2004 RAVs with this problem at

http://www.ravworld.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=5306

DubCabKy
02-24-2004, 04:35 AM
Hell guys, same problem here with the seats and the dash. This is on an '02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD. Too many of us with this problem for this not to be a defect in this truck. Any ideas on getting this information directly to Toyota for resolution.

i have a '03 double cab, no seat issues..but have the same dash rattle, I didn't notice it until I started running larger tires. 40k miles on odometer, but this could be a serious safety issue dealing with the airbag, couldn't it? toyota may have issues a recall or be in the process of issuing one..

Maxminus
02-24-2004, 07:23 AM
Well guys and gals as far as i can tell the annoying rattle is caused by the heater vent "bumping" the plastic dash while driving. It would seem that the tolerances are just not right. Wedging a piece of rubber between the windshield and the dash does work quite well. For the more brave of heart (or foolhardy) remove the dash assembly and get some 1/4" weather stripping (make sure it is UV resistant) and treat the opening of the dash heater vents by the windshield. Take care when replacing the dash as you can undo the weather striping in the process.

Just a word of advice here. I went the dash removal route and I now have a beautiful high pitched squeak comming from the dash near the driver's side door pillar. :mad:

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. :banghead:

mauitaco
02-25-2004, 03:37 AM
Take it into the stealership and have them repair it. Print this out and bring it with you in case they try and give you any grief.

http://customtacos.com/tech/index.php?page=index_v2&id=134&c=6

R-ROD
02-29-2004, 01:20 AM
I have a 1999 Tacoma and have the same exact rattle. Seems like it's coming from directly behind the instrument panel. It only seems to happen in the morning when it's cold outside. Very annoying. I've actually taken out the whole instrument panel and added some foam. It seems to have minimized it a little but it's still there.

Tmack0
03-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Same seat squeak, dash rattle and clutch squeak in my '02 Taco. Took it to the dealer once already under warantee. The "fixed" the squeak by lubing the clutch, which started squeaking again 2mi down the road, and the "lubing" consisted of spray greasing the whole underside of the dash in the area: big mess of white lithium spray grease all over the firwall and underside of the dash and everything, and some green grease on the clutch pedal linkages (a blob of it actually fell off onto my shoe while driving). Told me "we couldnt find the rattle" and "its alot of work" when asked why they didnt fix the dash rattle. They will be getting a copy of that TSB with a few nice words to the manager.

adamsix
03-10-2004, 01:32 PM
my 03 taco has rattles inside the fuse box and gets annoying at times. Im just too lazy to take it to the dealer. It only happens here and there. Mayb, im just use to it now :banghead:

dfskinner
03-11-2004, 07:14 AM
I have a tennis ball wedged between the center of the dash and the window, been there since I got the truck in 1998, stopped the rattle, as far as the seats go, haven't had any problems.

When people ride in my truck for the first time, they always ask, you play tennis; I tell them "No", I'm just using the ball to stop a rattle in my dash, I tell them the ball has been there for over 5 years now, that's why it's white and not yellow.

:smile:

Tmack0
03-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Told me "we couldnt find the rattle" and "its alot of work" when asked why they didnt fix the dash rattle. They will be getting a copy of that TSB with a few nice words to the manager.
So I took it back a second time with the document. They again told me they couldnt hear the rattle and therefore would not fix it. After arguing and bringing his manager into it, they said all I could do is ride with a service tech to see if I could get it to rattle. Once the tech started reading the papers while on our ride, he asked if it was just a rattle in the middle of the dash, kinda near the vents. When I said yes, he said "oh, thats a recall, we do alot of those, dont worry Ill talk to them". So I brought it back AGAIN (Thats #3 for those counting) and they finally cleared that rattle TSB up...not going to vent my frustration about what happened when picking it up, or the fact that its going back for at least one more time for stuff they STILL have not fixed.... :banghead: :banghead: anyway, if you are still having problems getting your Stealership to comply with the TSB, tell them its a RECALL, and if they still refuse, tell them to call their regional rep and ask about it specifically... UGH

bgxu33
03-16-2004, 09:26 PM
I get shoved out of the stealership everytime too about the dash rattle and they say "we can't hear anything" or "it's so faint we don't know where to start" Can you provide me with the EXACT piece of paper/information that you showed them so i can have mine fixed too?? you can email me at bgxu33@yahoo.com and send as an attachment if needed.
Thanks!!

ToyotaTech
03-17-2004, 03:35 AM
OK GUYS Hears your fix so read this very good! most of the noise u have is going to be in the right front area of your dash if u want to fix it hear is what u need to do.
1. remove your glove box.
2. look at the very back of the dash near the top near the windshield there are the clips that the dash snaps into the body ( these clips are blue in color)
3. Take a prybar and pry the body on to the clips a little more (Or take the dash off and pry the body clips where the dash clips in.) I always try the prybar first and this works 100% of the time.
4. Oh and Have fun!!!

thun
03-30-2004, 04:40 PM
I must be the only Tacoma owner who doesn't have this problem.

Or maybe I just always have the radio on...

coloradotaco
03-31-2004, 02:03 PM
My 2000 Tacoma had a rattle in the passenger seat. When someone sat in the seat, it didn't make any noise. When itthe seat was empty, it almost sounded like the seat belt buckle was rattling.
I investigated and found that the headrest latch was the cause. It doesn't latch the head rest any more so something in there is loose and rattles. I took some plummers putty and forced it around the button. The color is almost the same as the button.
NO MORE RATTLE!

Tmack0
04-16-2004, 05:31 PM
I get shoved out of the stealership everytime too about the dash rattle and they say "we can't hear anything" or "it's so faint we don't know where to start" Can you provide me with the EXACT piece of paper/information that you showed them so i can have mine fixed too?? you can email me at bgxu33@yahoo.com and send as an attachment if needed.
Thanks!!
The paper I took in was a copy of the TSB itself, as provided from another forum in the link above:
http://customtacos.com/tech/index.php?page=index_v2&id=134&c=6

the TSB is: http://customtacos.com/tech/files/dash_rattle_tsb.pdf

If your truck is under warantee, this is covered, and explicitly states so in the TSB itself. It amazed me the service guy still denied it after I even pointed to that section and told him "It even says right here that this is covered under warantee!". Im still not happy, they completed that service, but in doing so left something loose inside the dash, causing two new rattles near the ends of the dash. This ones not as loud, and wedging a peice of rubber between the dash and A-pillars (both ends of the dash, and not visible unless you look for them) have silenced it for now. The clutch squeak they "fixed" by greasing the clutch assembly still comes around occasionaly, sounding like a rusty screen door spring, but goes away shortly after and is never there when I take it in. Any time I mention the mess the greasing left, they tell me "thats sloppy work" and do nothing about it, just like they do nothing about the squeaky seat. It will get at least one more trip in for this before my warantee runs out, and if its not fixed, the BBB might get a report.

Tmack0
06-08-2004, 09:27 AM
*bump*
It will get at least one more trip in for this before my warantee runs out, and if its not fixed, the BBB might get a report.
:mad: :mad: :mad:
Go figure, its going in again. For anyone counting, this will be trip #6. My warantee expired, but before it did I called into the National Toyota service center in California. Their 800 number is in the "Owner's Warantee Rights" (or something like that) booklet. What they told me is I can continue taking it in for the problems diagnosed before the warantee expired until they are resolved, they can refer me to another dealership if necessary, and if all else fails start the arbitration process, and they gave me a case # to reference on all future services for these issues. Yes, the dash still rattles at the ends even though the dealership denys it exists, and over the weekend the rattle in the middle started up again. The clutch I think they finally fixed on the last trip in, the cause: missing bushings :banghead:. The tech told me he installed some rubber bushings that were missing from the clutch pedal assembly. Whatever it was, it feels better and the squeak is gone. They also finally wiped down the mess they made, but left nice black shoe scuff marks on the door panel. And the seat squeak still "does not exist" even though it has been getting louder and louder each week.
I love my truck, but if this is the kind of service to expect from Toyota, I think I will look elsewhere for my next vehicle.

coloradotaco
06-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Sounds like a nasty experience, you'd think you had bought a Chevy.
Does the seat rattle if someone is sitting in it? Mine didn't. When it was unoccupied it almost sounded like a seat belt buckle rattling. Since I stuffed the head rest retainer button with putty it hasn't rattled at all.
One of the things that impressed me about Tacos was the solidness of the ride. Unlike other pickups I've been in.
Rattles drive me crazy, luckily my dash does not rattle. I would find a different dealer.
Good Luck

westly
06-08-2004, 09:54 AM
I have a 2002 tacoma and had the dash rattle too. Took it into the dealer and they fixed it for free. Hasn't rattled since.

snglegrtguy
07-21-2004, 10:43 AM
Toyota has a TSB on the Dash Rattle. I will provide a link to a Tacoma Web site that has the TSB as a .pdf file. Just make sure you have Adobe Acrobat to view the file.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/

Look at the right column and you will see the TSB for the Dash Rattle.

Hope this helps...

Joe

wrigley123
07-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Had the same problem with the seat. ('03 tacoma bench style seat) I removed the seat (4 bolts, very simple). I found a small bit of play in the seat frame after the seat locked into the track. This play was causing a squeak. I used some lockwire around the seat frame to get rid of the play.........NO MORE SQUEAK.......I've been squeak free for over a year.

Mike

BTW......my dash has made noise from day one!

99Tacoma_Austin
07-24-2004, 04:02 AM
I have the same problem with my dash. Not sure if I"m glad I"m not the only one or not. I have noticed that it is worse when the dash is cool in the winter or when the AC is ccranked for a while. When it's hot it's silent. I'm gonna try a wedge like you guys did. Funny how Toyota has never addressed this.

heavydc2
08-01-2004, 09:37 AM
I also had, had fixed and have again the seat squeak, It need to be tightened down to be fixed. I am going to try and tighten mine down to see if I can figure out which nut needs to be tighted to fix it.

I do get the squeeky clutch, and have had that fixed a number of times. If you get the squeek fixed, it will squeek again... its just a matter of time. What I keep in the truck now is a can of lubricant that is a non disolving kind. You can use wd40, but that will just not last. I think its a metallic based lubricant.

I do have the dash rattle too, it sounds like something went down in the defrost grate, its so darn annoying.

Tmack0
08-19-2004, 12:32 PM
I do get the squeeky clutch, and have had that fixed a number of times. ...

I do have the dash rattle too, it sounds like something went down in the defrost grate, its so darn annoying.

As mentioned in previous posts, its a design flaw dating back to about the '96 model year (defrost duct too close to dash). Theres a TSB, and as common as it is (Taco's arent the only vehicle affected), dealerships like to play dumb, or play the "we cant hear anything, so we cant fix it" card.

The squeaky clutch is a similar issue, a design flaw, also around since the same year. After taking mine in about 7 times, they fixed it correctly, citing a "missing part". Go to the link below for the explination on fixing it. I am begining to question Toyota's quality and customer service. If a part is known to fail often (as this cheapo turn-over bushing does), a TSB and possibly a recall is in order. This bushing can wear to the point where it is worn through, and falls off the pedal assembly (thats what mine did, in under 1 year, and its starting to squeak again only a couple months after it was replaced). Once this part is gone, the spring in the clutch pedal is rubbing metal on metal, which can eventually cause a more serious problem. The other clutch issue, the "click" when pushing the pedal in, is another plastic/rubber part that either wears out fast, or was never installed at the factory (mine was making the click noise almost from day1). It happens when the pivot joint of the pedal arm and the push rod
shifts under pressure. The connector "clicks" against the side of the pedal arm. A bushing is supposed to prevent that motion.

http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mechanical/ClutchPedal/ClutchBushing.htm

Taco_Jon
08-20-2004, 01:47 AM
Hey I have a 2002 pre runner and my passenger seat rattled to but i took the seat out and realized that one of the screws had been lose and it stripped the screw... so I had to find a alternative method of attaching the seat back in. i took a screw and a washer... and used a nut on the under side to bolt it down

HateMyToy
07-31-2005, 10:41 AM
Same dash rattle... same seat noise... A/C issues @ 15K, Starter @ 20+K, now electrical issues @ 30+K. No mods done to the vehicle to bring on such trouble... it's just a big, over priced piece of sh&%.

Let me say this much... I can't even tell you or even begin to put into words how much I hate this damn truck. First opportunity to get out from under it will be taken... along with the philosophy "To hell with Toyota". The only reason I don't sell it today is it's paid for and I don't want to get under a car payment. Actually, probably no-one would buy the damn thing... I'd probably have to go get raped at the dealer on a trade-in.

Did I mention I hate this damn truck!
~ Aaron

ajbrown1128
08-16-2005, 01:54 PM
i have an 02 tacoma TRD 4X4 as well with the dash rattle, took it to the dealer twice before they pulled the dash and put some rubber strips between the dash and where it mounts and this took care of the problem, fornunately it was still under warranty

njw_66
08-30-2005, 05:05 PM
I recently put in a new stereo system in my truck, they had to remove the passenger side seat to mount the amp. I have tightened the seat down very tight. I have notice this annoying rattle when I go over bumps and whatnot. The seat doesn't seem to be on the slider track. I know that sounds strange since they didn't remove just the top part of the seat. I slide it back and forth, it works fine...no problems. How the heck do I get the rattle to stop, it is driving me nuts!!! HELP!!

Pickle Sniffer
01-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Toyota Tacoma seat noise / squeak fix.
I know this is an old post but I had the same seat noise / squeak in my 2003 extended cab tacoma passenger seat. The seat would make a banging noise over random bumps only if no one was sitting in it. Was driving me crazy. It seem to be something in the seat sliding mechanism and tightening the seat bolts didn't help. BUT I did find that if you take out the back left seat bolt (the one next to the transmission tunnel) and put three washers between the body and the seat bracket, put the bolt back in the squeak is gone! You'll have to pry a gap between the seat bracket and the body to get the washers in. The three washers twist the seat slider / track mechanism enough to tighten everything up. Hope this helps someone else out there.

Add your comment to this topic!