Page updated on 11-22-2017

No Brake/Turn/Hazard Lights

djkurious
08-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Started my 99 Tahoe LT for the first time in 3 days and I drive down the street and someone waves me down and lets me know that I don't have any brake lights when I come to a stop. So I pull into a gas station and have a friend press the brake pedal and sure enough no brake lights when braking. The third brake light at the top is not lighting up at all with the pedal pressed or depressed. I turn the light switch on and have a friend press the brake and they do not get brighter but they are on as normal. I check the turn signal and they do not work either. I checked the the drivers side fuses and they are not blown. What else should be checked? Is there a brake switch somewhere and if there is, where is it located. Any help is appreciated.

roadrunner2
08-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Started my 99 Tahoe LT for the first time in 3 days and I drive down the street and someone waves me down and lets me know that I don't have any brake lights when I come to a stop. So I pull into a gas station and have a friend press the brake pedal and sure enough no brake lights when braking. The third brake light at the top is not lighting up at all with the pedal pressed or depressed. I turn the light switch on and have a friend press the brake and they do not get brighter but they are on as normal. I check the turn signal and they do not work either. I checked the the drivers side fuses and they are not blown. What else should be checked? Is there a brake switch somewhere and if there is, where is it located. Any help is appreciated.

The brake switch is usually mounted so as to touch the brake pedal arm when the brake is applied.
It may have moved and need adjustment.

Check the underhood fuse/relay box for any other related fuse and/or relay. Don't forget that when a fuse blows, it's wise to find out why.

Make certain the high center rear brake light bulb works, as when this doesn't work there is a good chance others won't either.

djkurious
08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
The brake switch is usually mounted so as to touch the brake pedal arm when the brake is applied.
It may have moved and need adjustment.

Check the underhood fuse/relay box for any other related fuse and/or relay. Don't forget that when a fuse blows, it's wise to find out why.

Make certain the high center rear brake light bulb works, as when this doesn't work there is a good chance others won't either.

I will check that and thanks!

What would be the cause of the hazard lights and turn signals not working?

roadrunner2
08-22-2009, 10:41 PM
I would say a faulty flasher. Sometimes just removing the flasher and re-inserting it (semi-cleaning the contacts) does the job.

Other than that I'd have to say dirty/faulty switches or perhaps a bad/dirty multi-function harness connection under the dash.. Try the easy cheap stuff first.

You could spray a little electrical contact cleaner in the connection. NOT WD40.

Add your comment to this topic!