Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is it ok to run thick oil?

FrankVtec88
08-21-2009, 09:15 AM
My 1997 accord, f22b2 engine, has some valve noise, even after doing a valve adjustment. Should I run thicker oil in it? I currently run 5w30. Heard of people doing that, just don't know if these honda engines are the same.

dderolph
08-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Can you describe the valve noise? Is it a tapping sound? Do you notice the noise at any engine speed or is it more noticeable at certain times? Was the valve adjustment done by a professional technician?

I once used thicker than normal oil in an engine but that was with an engine that was showing signs of a rod bearing going bad. I don't believe thicker oil would be a good idea in your case. I think you need to determine why you still have some abnormal valve noise.

jeffcoslacker
08-22-2009, 09:41 PM
If you check your manual, most cars that used 5w30 from the factory list 10w30 as a perfectly acceptable alternative for all but the coldest weather regions.

I wouldn't use anything too heavy...don't go nuts and put 20w50 in there or something.

I have a 1995 Accord (same engine) with 210,000 that I run 10w30 semi-syn in year round. It has a noisy valve train, especially at startup, settles down somewhat after warm up. I don't care. It runs great.

I run the same in my '97 Lumina with 145,000.

Personally I've always felt 5w30 is a little light for engines with any kinda miles on them, I go to 10w30 as soon as I get them. And I've been known to get 300,000+ outta motors and sell them still running well...can't argue with success...

FrankVtec88
08-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Cool thanks for the replies. Its a ticking noise, and its throughout the rpm range. I had a tech at work help me out, he does work with engines and trannies. Anyhow, I think I will switch over to 10w30 next oil change. Oh yea, and it makes noises when it gets warm, when its cold, it sounds pretty mint. =]

reefgeorge
09-08-2009, 01:51 PM
jeffcoslacker

What brand and type of oil do you use? I like recommendations from guys that get results. Also, do you just go with say the standard Pennzoil or do you like the "high mileage" oils that are offered by some. Lastly, I have heard that using a high detergent oil in a high mileage vehicle can clean it up too well. I put Rizlone (sp?) in a high mileage 1965 Ford Galaxy 500 (my first car) and it cleaned up the rings so good that it started burning oil - a lot. That was a mistake. I currently have 151K miles on my vehicle.

Thanks,

George

jeffcoslacker
09-10-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm kinda afraid of running anything too aggressive in an older motor. Long ago I made the mistake of using engine flush on an old Chevy Monza V6 with a lotta top end lifter-type noise...it worked well, but two days later it starved for oil pressure and seized up on the highway...on teardown I found the oil pump pickup screen completely hogged with solids and varnishes...too much, too fast. Washed it all down into the bottom suddenly and couldn't draw through it.

Honestly I used to use Valvoline semi-syn, but the last few years I've used Motorcraft Semi-syn (it's cheaper) with very good results.

I haven't had any experience with any of the "high miler" oils...frankly it scares me a bit. Anything that can help control older leaking seals does so by rehydrating them chemically, which works good for a while (like putting brake fluid in an automatic tranny with sloppy seals...old trick, works good for a while), but ultimately the seal will begin to deteriorate rapidly...

Unless they figured some way around that, I don't know.

Add your comment to this topic!