98 Eldo rear air shock replacment

dhspring
08-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Can anyone provide a link or location to buy replacment air shocks for a 98 Eldo with ELC? I've found them at Arnott's on line for about $300 each and $170 for the compressor, pretty steep for a 11 year old college kid car. Also would anyone recommend going with a non-air shock replacment? To me the car might still ride low and not have that Eldo ride without the original equipment. The Non air shocks are also about $300 unless you can find Gabriel model no. 49254, which were listed at Autozone for about $115 each, then only to find they don't make them anymore, supposedly. Any advice on this is greatly appreciated, thanks!

dhspring

maxwedge
08-19-2009, 01:06 PM
How about just a set of Monroe load leveling air shocks, eliminate the compressor and just use the fill port?

dhspring
08-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I need to check into that, seems like these auto parts stores look in their books and all that pops up is one brand to replace the OEM stuff at very high cost, seems like every shock manufacturer should make a replacement for this. I'll check that out, thanks!

dhspring
09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Well for anyone who cares, here's how I solved the issue on my son's 98 Eldorado rear shocks, I picked up a used compressor from a junk yard for $125, then bought some Monroe replacement air shocks for a 98 Eldo with electronic ride control for $315 each, so I got the entire job done for about $750. The Monroe shocks were actually the ones with the electronic connector for the other system, that's all they offered from O'Reilly's, a bit of overkill and probably more expensive than just the plain airshock, but the Caddy dealer wanted $950 each, so I replaced the whole system for less than one shock from the dealer. It works like new. One thing I learned, the air shocks that are older than about 5 years will leak out the rubber boot. We tried 2 sets from the salvage yard, both leaked. Unless ur lucky enough to find them less than a couple years old, forget used and go with new. O'Reilly's are lifetime warranty, as long as we own that car, we won't be buying any more rear air shocks. Thanks

maxwedge
09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Good work, thanks for posting back, one hint here, most shocks leak due to rust forming on the shock and rubbing through the bellows, try to prevent that with some rust preventitive in that area, make sure what you use doesn't eat up the bellows.

Add your comment to this topic!