ETS for my grand am

upforthat
08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
how do you disconnect.....or better yet where is the ETS on my 97 grand am so i can disconnect it ....my grand am takes off slow like its in 2nd gear...i know this is the problem...just dont know where it is

thanx:banghead:

08-20-2009, 03:57 PM
ets is for traction control and you can disable it by pressing the switch on the left side of the shifter handle. Also that is not your problem. What you can check is the transmission connector just to the right of your vacuum modulator. The connector is gray in color and is round. Make sure it is plugged in and that all the wires leading to that connector are in good shape.

for second gear starts this is what you can also check according to the professional manual
1. control valve asembly for stuck 1-2 shift valve
2. #5 check ball missing or dislocated
3. Burned fiber material on the reverse band assembly
4. servo cushion spring damaged or vrong spring

xeroinfinity
08-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Welcome to AF upforthat !

Yeah it might not even be your electronic traction control causing this issue. The trans and your wheel speed sensors all work in conjunction to control wheel slippage.

Like 3100 said, just push the button on the shifter.
Though we're not responsible for balding your tires. :lol:

upforthat
08-24-2009, 10:17 PM
my grand am is automatic....it might not be the ets because the ets light does not come on anymore and the abs light stays on now along with the little parking light stays on also ...i have replaced the brakes all around but it still feels like the car takes off in 2nd gear or really slow like the brakes are still on.. but ther not

signed......driving me nuts:banghead:

xeroinfinity
08-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Are you sure this is auto ETS ?

The only way to find out why the ABS light is on, is to get it scanned with an ABS capable scan tool.
This might also show something that would make it feel like its taking off in second.

How's it run other wise ?

upforthat
08-30-2009, 08:55 AM
the car runs like a top otherwise....i just went out one day got in the car and it wouldnt shift from park that is until i put a tie back on that little safety tab thats on the side of the shifterthats when someone told me it was the ets so i unhooked the ets and then it wouldnt let me turn the car off so it was my guess that the ets is workin so i hooked it back up:runaround:...what a pain in the ass...im tryin to get a code reader to find out what went on

08-30-2009, 09:42 AM
did you check that connector that I suggested you to check?

upforthat
08-31-2009, 03:56 PM
yes .....but i got the codes checked and i have a P0740a code : torque converter clutch circuit malfunction.....just dont know how to take care of the problem

08-31-2009, 04:20 PM
If you checked that connector and everything looks good then check the ERLS fuse in engine compartment under that black cover it should be 20 A fuse.

again please check that connector it is the main trans connector. Make sure pins inside are not bent and that all the wires are in good shape.

upforthat
08-31-2009, 05:01 PM
i will.....thanx again

08-31-2009, 05:16 PM
look at my post number 2, I mentioned the connector and wires right away. And that code that you mentioned just today is associated with that connector and its wiring (short/open) etc. So there was a reason that I said right away to check that. But don't worry we are close to finding the solution for you, it just depends on your capabilities to do the electrical testing such as (finding short, open, measuring voltage, resistance and similar). Are you OK. with this tests, and do you have good DVOM so I can proceed with giving you full professional instructions for this code?

08-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Tried to send you a picture but upload failed again.

(250diesel@live.com)

upforthat
08-31-2009, 06:28 PM
ok done ...thanx

xeroinfinity
08-31-2009, 06:48 PM
i think the attachment feature is disabled right now... while works being done.

09-01-2009, 03:39 AM
if the connector and fuse that I mentioned earlier check out OK. replace your VSS sensor. 16$ at AZ (vehicle speed sensor).

is your speedometer showing strange speed reading (ex: showing faster or slower than you are actually going?)

PCM monitors throttle position sensor and VSS in order to determine when to energize TCC solenoid (Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid).

you will have to remove front right wheel go under the car and you will find the sensor with two wires purple and yellow if I can remember. Location: end of the transmission where the right axle goes in. You will need 10mm socket (just one bolt)

Add your comment to this topic!