Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hawthorne Acrylic Enamel

Hullhorr
08-18-2009, 11:10 AM
I recently purchased a Acrylic Enamel kit off E-bay from a company called Trinity 1945 (Paint, Reducer, Hardener). I tried to shoot it last weekend, and it would not flow thru my gun well. The paint came out real splotchy & lite. I'm using a Devilbiss FGL-3 gun. I tried switching nozzle sizes and got the same results. I started to notice that the paint was very thick compared to what I normally shoot. The paint I've used previously is usually very thin almost water like. This stuff was closer to the consistancy of a latex house paint, but not quite that thick.

I've used Dupont Centari, PPG Delstar, and most recently Restoration Shop (also off E-bay), and never had this problem.

I got a cheaper paint gun out just to see if maybe there was something wrong with my gun, but it did the exact same thing.

I'm fairly certain I got some paint that may have sat well past it's shelf life, but am curious if anyone else has had this problem.

LearnAutoBody
08-23-2009, 06:58 PM
I have never used that brand of paint. If you're looking for a cheaper line of paint than Dupont or PPG, they both have lower line paints. PPG makes Shopline and Dupont has Nason. Check with your local automotive paint store.

Add your comment to this topic!