Page updated on 11-18-2017

Autoride compressor - how to test?

sqzdog
08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi everyone- I have a 2001 Tahoe with autoride/leveling (105k). I regularly tow a camper of about 5,500 lbs. Whenever we would get in to the Tahoe or hook up the camper I would hear the compressor come on.

On our last trip, I stopped to get a bite to eat, when I came out, I noticed the hitch was sitting lower than normal. Then I noticed that the compressor didn't kick on anymore.

Is there a way to test to make sure it is the compressor? I have heard that there are sensors that go bad too but don't know where they are or how to test them.

Any advice is appreciated!

sqzdog
08-18-2009, 08:18 PM
ok, I was able to unplug the compressor and run 12 volts to it and it came on and ran. There appear to be no fuses blown. Now I want to find the relay that activates the compressor. Anyone know where that is?

roadrunner2
08-20-2009, 11:26 PM
ok, I was able to unplug the compressor and run 12 volts to it and it came on and ran. There appear to be no fuses blown. Now I want to find the relay that activates the compressor. Anyone know where that is?

Have you checked in the underhood fuse/relay box . (drivers side)

My '02 Tahoe doesn't have the self-leveling system, but I had one in my old '00 Olds Silhouette (van) and its relay was under the hood.

There should be a 'sensor' attached to the axle that touches the frame when the vehicle loads.

It may look like a lever with a wire running to it from the compressor.

Add your comment to this topic!