Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Forester Rear Hatch Latch

tinysmoke
08-16-2009, 01:51 PM
My wife and I made our first Subaru purchase. She uses the Forester in her job, especially the rear cargo area. It is new (2nd new vehicle in 30 years of marriage).

She has trouble getting the rear hatch to latch properly. The suggestion from the Subaru service department was to be sure no cargo items are in the way of the door. She has done that but says she still has to slam the rear hatch to get it to close and prevent the door open alarm.

I have opened and closed the hatch. It seemed to work ok.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

thanks

Randy

RahX
08-16-2009, 05:45 PM
It is brand new? I'd check the seals and make sure nothing is out of place to prevent it from wanting to close all the way. I assume it shuts and latches securely every time but the chime/light still come on?

tinysmoke
08-17-2009, 05:37 AM
I queried my wife again. Apparently, it does not latch when she shuts it, goes ahead and starts down the road, only to have the chime go off and the door begins rattling.

I have not been in the car with her when this has happened.

I looked at the seals on the hatch and the car but did not see anything that would keep it from closing.

When I close the door it seems fairly smooth. Sometimes it does not latch if I shut it very very gently.

I suggested she crack a window slightly before shutting the hatch but she rejected that.

The good news is the hatch is the only shortcoming she has found.

Today starts another work week. We'll see how things go.

Thanks for your help.

Randy

RahX
08-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Have you taken it in and had them look at it? Not that anyone wold be riding in the cargo area but the hatch could pop open which is dangerous and should be looked at.

tinysmoke
08-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Have you taken it in and had them look at it? Not that anyone wold be riding in the cargo area but the hatch could pop open which is dangerous and should be looked at.

Well, we are getting some experience with it now. Apparently, it does not close from the beginning. That is, it does not pop open after having been closed. I have yet to drive it and experience it. My wife said she plans to take it in and have it looked at.

Thanks Randy

Add your comment to this topic!