Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1971 Impala Stereo

1971_donk
08-14-2009, 03:11 PM
I own a 1971 Impala that is completly stock. I am having trouble wiring the stereo reviever to the car and amp since there is no wiring harness kit to buy. Does anybody know of a way to do this or where to get the harness? Thank you

'97ventureowner
08-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Moving this to the Chevrolet Classics forum as the Impala/ImpalaSS is for the newer models.

Torch
11-15-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm assuming you have fixed this already, but for the benefit of everyone else...

I used to have a 1968 Chevy Impala 4-door, no there is no wiring harness for this car you will have to make your own.

I removed the stock AM radio and put in a stereo cassette deck, from there I ran wires to underneath the driver's seat where I had mounted the amplifier so that all I had to do was reach down below me and press the power button to turn it on.

From there I ran wires under the back seat to the rear window, the 4-door version of this car has enough room for four 6x9s and it ended up being loud enough that the music was louder than the glass-pack exhaust system.

j cAT
11-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I own a 1971 Impala that is completly stock. I am having trouble wiring the stereo reviever to the car and amp since there is no wiring harness kit to buy. Does anybody know of a way to do this or where to get the harness? Thank you

I owned a 1973 impala 2door. had it from 73 to 83...it was a good ride..defects of design was the choke, body rust , paint fade and rust blisters, rear wheel wells rusted out, and a gas guzzler [12.5MPG ]...

I did alot of body work on that one...but mechanicly it was reliable..
I totaled a honda civic with it ...went to the junk yard got grill for 15.00...
thats all that was broken ...the honda was so bad the guy almost lost his legs...he ran a stop sign , that accident made him think twice before pulling that trick again..

not much need for a connector here..plus minus and you run your speaker wires,,,thats it...

Torch
11-21-2009, 02:03 AM
Yeah my 1968 Impala was a tank on wheels, one winter I was on black ice and didn't know it I came around a curve and found some moron parked on the inside lane I turned the steering wheel but the car wouldn't turn at the last moment the car started to drift over and I slammed into his back corner doing 50 mph, parts went flying everywhere and I bounced off, I heard brakes lock up behind me and then was rear-ended by someone else, the whole on ramp/over pass turned into a giant pin ball machine and cars were sliding everywhere, I finally got my car to stop and got out to exchange insurance info. only to find everyone had left no one was sticking around in that horrid mess.

I took off only to find the fender was scraping the front tire and the steering went out of control if I went over 15 mph, an hour later I was back in my driveway, $150.00 in parts later the car was back on the road for another three years, then the engine froze and cracked the block that winter and the whole car started rusting out so I sold it to a junk yard that parts out GM cars. I still miss driving that car but don't miss the constant maintenance and the 10mpg I was getting from the high performance 350 I put in it.

Add your comment to this topic!