Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My Alero is awesome

sightdev
08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
It is rare to see Alero owner complementing their Alero so I wanted to share my "good" experience with my 99 Alero GLS V6.

I have been fortunate to own my Alero trouble free for so many years. I have purchased my 99 Alero GLS about four years ago with LIM problem. I had the LIM changed at the dealer at 52k and now at 98k it is still going strong. I bought it from the original owner and she had replaced the typical parts that are wrong with these vehicles such as window regulator [2x], brake rotor resurfaced at 10k, flasher relay replaced but I didn’t have to fix any one of those items as of today. I recently did the 100k tune-up at home which included s-plugs/wire, fan belt, t-trans filter change, all four brake pad [rear pads looked ok], and all four new tires. Not as quiet as Lexus we have but it is smooth and AC still blows ice cold. I am still really impressed with V6 gas mileage at 23mpg in Washington area traffic. I have only taken the Alero few times on long distance and on the hwy it will average close to 30mpg with AC cruising 80mph. This is my city vehicle and its small enough to easily park in tight spots.

Wanted to share my secret on preventing PassLock problems on these vehicles. As far as I can remember, GM had problem with lock cylinder being “cheap” quality. I think that is the only reason why it is so easy to find GM lock cylinders in any auto part stores. Since 80’, this became more complex because of security system was introduced. Trick is putting least amount of “load” on the lock cylinder, to do this, I only have key and the fob and nothing else is attached to the key ring that will “weigh” down. I also had the PassLock problem little after I had purchased the Alero so I quickly applied what I had learned over the years. I also squirt silicon lubricant into the cylinder housing whenever I feel little resistant and careful not to put too much pressure turning the key. I have not had repeat of PassLock issue since. It may be too late for some but this method may help many others here a lot of frustration and cost associated with replacing lock cylinder.

Hope GM can survive the ever more competitive automobile market and I think they can only survive through quality control.

BNaylor
08-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks for sharing your experiences with your Alero. Our '02 GL2 is going on 7 years old with 70K miles and still going strong. Plus it is modified on top of that.

leafaninottawa
09-01-2009, 10:51 AM
i have an 01 GX, it has honestly been one of the better made cars i have ever driven, i am about to roll over 226 thousand kilometers, and couldnt be any happier, it has a 2.4 that has its normal issues, like a lifter tap, but thats pretty minuscule compared to what i have heard about the 2.4...i also have the normal hub sensor problems, which really havent gone anywhere, the hub itself is still fine in condition, and will be replaced in the near future at some point....just need to replace the tires....lol after 225 kms the second set of tires that are on it are getting pretty bald, and WILL NOT make it thru the winter...other than my steering wheel interlock, and shifter interlock bein busted, i believe my car was previously stolen, recovered by the police, and then sold at a police auction way before i bought it, i am 100% happy with my alero....to everyone else that hasnt been so lucky, hope your luck turns around

rjs0421
09-02-2009, 08:26 AM
I have a 1999 Alero as well and for the most part I have enjoyed the car. My major complaint is that the car was designed with rotors and calipers that were undersized for the car and tend to wear faster than other cars I have owned.
I have kept up with the regular maintainence schedule and do 90% of the work myself, I did some small modifications to the engine and I am getting fantastic gas mileage. In the city I am averaging 25mpg, on the expressway cruise set at 70 I am getting 33.3mpg. There have been no major work done to the engine or transmission other than routing maintainence or parts that have worn out. My currrent mileage is 209,450. I will drive this car until it can no longer be driven.

No car is perfect but this is a decent car to have.

Add your comment to this topic!