Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just Keeping this car running.

WheelerXp
08-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I got a 99 Cavaqueer 2.2 four door.

145xxx miles
and everything is running great. too great. I haven't seen problems for the year Ive owned it. Hardly popped the hood. Put 25k miles on it. Idling just fine, shifts nice and smooth. I get 35 mpg with it.

Just got my inspection, and the mechanic says i should just throw it out.

Tranny is leaking. ( the stick on the cap is missing so i cant check it)

Rack an pin is leaking. ( power steering is not loosing fluid. but i can see its wet when i take the wheel off.)

Break Fluid is leaking. (none that i can see)

But my real questions are my ebreak line by the gas tank is rusted, along with the fuel lines. Is there a easy way to replace them. Or Rustoliume spray?

Also is created a Cold air intake with PVC pipeing going to help me gain more mpg?

Im about to change the Serpentine belt, from a guide i read online. And im just wondering what else i should look for to keep my car running smooth?
Thank you for your knowledge

Sorry for the mulit quesions per thread. first post.:bs:

PlanetDude
08-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Hmmmmm......

I would be concerned about all the leaking.

Tranny, rack, fuel, brakes... if the fuel lines are gone, that`s usually a sign there`s rust underneath, with 10 years and 145k miles..... very likely.

I`d be hard pressed to sink a ton of money into this thing, unless the body is still very solid. If it is, I`d fix the tranny, fuel lines and brake fluid leak.... for sure....

Rack, damn. That`s the kicker. I`d be hard pressed to replace a rack, I`ve never done one but I imagine it`s a bitch. It`s certainly not in an easy place to get to.

Forget the cold-air-pvc-piping. I doubt you`ll get any MPG gain, if you do, you`re losing it to the ground with those leaking fuel lines.

I`d get a price on complete repairs, and see if you can get better with that money. THis car, you know the history on, and you own it, but it does need work.

Post back, let us know how it goes....

Ryan

Add your comment to this topic!