2003 Park Avenue Ultra - air ride system

bctadlock
08-10-2009, 03:47 PM
started to hear a whine/whistle coming from the right rear tire area, same area where you can hear the motor for the air ride when engaged, any experiece with this system? signs of failure or impending failure?
Thanks.

HotZ28
08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
If the pump is running more than usual, time to check the air bladders for leaks. The air bladders can develop pinholes and you should remove the rear tires & spray with some soapy water to check for leaks, the same procedure as checking for an leak in the tires.

bctadlock
08-11-2009, 10:54 AM
If the pump is running more than usual, time to check the air bladders for leaks. The air bladders can develop pinholes and you should remove the rear tires & spray with some soapy water to check for leaks, the same procedure as checking for an leak in the tires.

The pump still runs the few moments when the car is first started, then it stops as usual, but there remains a whine/hum/whistle coming from behind the right rear tire, where the pump sounds seem to originate as well.

Where exactly is the pump for this system?
Thanks.

HotZ28
08-11-2009, 03:44 PM
It's located behind the right rear tire, mounted to the underside of trunk.

Holaday1185
08-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah I own a 97 and my bladders are shot. Pump should activate and cycle for a minute after the car is started. My compressor basically turns on every 5 minutes or so. I'm thinking of replacing the air ride rear suspension with something not involving that stupid compressor, ha. Good luck.

-DH

HotZ28
08-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah I own a 97 and my bladders are shot. Pump should activate and cycle for a minute after the car is started. My compressor basically turns on every 5 minutes or so. I'm thinking of replacing the air ride rear suspension with something not involving that stupid compressor, ha. Good luck.-DHYou could do something similar to what I have, shown below. The compressor fuse was pulled and an air gage with a schrader valve was mounted in the upper trunk area for easy filling and pressure monitoring. If you will notice, I found the ideal pressure range to be 20-22 psig. If you are interested in this kit with detailed instructions, PM me.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/294/airfillsystem.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1720/airfillsystem1.jpg

Holaday1185
08-15-2009, 04:28 PM
If I remove the fuse so that the pump doesn't activate anymore, can't I just leave the thing alone until I have the time to replace the rear suspension. I'm not too concerned with the rear of my car sagging. Just wouldn't want to cause further damage by not keeping the shocks at a proper psi. Let me know. Thanks.

-DH

HotZ28
08-15-2009, 08:07 PM
If I remove the fuse so that the pump doesn't activate anymore, can't I just leave the thing alone until I have the time to replace the rear suspension. I'm not too concerned with the rear of my car sagging. Just wouldn't want to cause further damage by not keeping the shocks at a proper psi. Let me know. Thanks.-DHIf the strut bladders are leaking, no further damage could be caused from removing the fuse other than ride quality. Without some air in the struts, the rear-end will sag and ride & handling will be sacrificed. :uhoh:

ss396_69
08-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Probably too late to be noticed, but I was able to install air shocks from Autozone (Gabrial's, I think) on my '97, and just use the new fittings on the stock air line. The new shocks probably don't have quite the ride that new GM shocks would have, but I can pad my rear pockets with the $300+ dollars that I saved, and tough it out...

Add your comment to this topic!