4x4 problem

08-10-2009, 02:29 PM
hello all,

I own a 1998 Jimmy 4x4 SLT for about 5 years (~90K miles), all running great except a problem started about a year a go in the 4x4.

I hardly use the 4x4 (maybe once a year), and the problem started when i tried to push the 4x4 button, the light blinked but didn't engage. I "solved" it by disconnecting the battery for few minutes then it worked again.

Last week, i tried to push the 4x4 button, the 4x4 lights blinked for a couple if seconds then they shut off. when i pushed the 4x4 again- no response , neither in lights nor in actual engagement.
When i shut down the vehicle and turned the switch to on, i did see the all the 3 lights went on then off, but after starting the engine the lights are off and the buttons don't respond. checked the 10A fuse and it seems OK, any clue?

10-28-2009, 02:55 PM
I have a similar problem. I push the AUTO 4WD or 4Hi button and the lights continuely blink. The system does not engage. I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and no help. I do not hear anything engaging.

Any ideas?

10-30-2009, 06:40 PM
I had the same problem on my 99 and the problem was a simple vaccum line that disconnected from the actuater. After plugging it back in Ive had no problems since.

Good luck

10-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Not that this will help, BUT, I always engage my 4WD once a week even if just for a few seconds just to keep everything moving.

Add your comment to this topic!