'94 convertible serpentine belt squeak

doughert0
08-09-2009, 03:07 PM
My '94 convertible 3 litre has a chronic serpentine belt squeak. The problem has existed through the original engine, and now the rebuilt. I can change the serpentine, and it will stop for 3 - 6 months, then starts again.

I've tried silicone grease, but that only works for a week or so. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

myway1955
02-23-2010, 08:17 AM
My '94 convertible 3 litre has a chronic serpentine belt squeak. The problem has existed through the original engine, and now the rebuilt. I can change the serpentine, and it will stop for 3 - 6 months, then starts again.

I've tried silicone grease, but that only works for a week or so. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

I had this problem with a lebaron sedan and also on my 94 3.0 Lebaron Conv. Both cars needed to have the tention pully replaced. Drove everyone crazy. So check to see if this is your problem. Good luck.

doughert0
02-23-2010, 03:29 PM
I had this problem with a lebaron sedan and also on my 94 3.0 Lebaron Conv. Both cars needed to have the tention pully replaced. Drove everyone crazy. So check to see if this is your problem. Good luck.

Thanks. Turned out that my tensioner or idler was frozen. I noticed that my gas milage had dropped about 2 mpg, but didn't connect. A few months after the squeak started and the milage dropped, I had the tensioner and idler replaced. The squeal stopped, and the milage went back up to normal. One of the two was evidently seized. I didn't think to ask the mechanic, so not sure which.:rofl:

Add your comment to this topic!