Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Stratus problems

cooldawg
08-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Hey everyone

I'm new here. I have a 2002 Dodge Stratus SE sedan. Its has a 4cyl with just over 72K miles on it. I have been having a couple of problems with it that I need to fix.

1) It has been hesitating when I pull off. It doesn't do it so much when its cooler outside. But when its hot outside it does it a lot. It sometimes does it when I pull off but now always. It more happens when I am at highway speed and have to push the gas pedal. What could it be? Is it fixable?

2) Sometimes the service engine light will come on every few weeks. We hook it to the computer at Advance Auto Parts and clear the code out (code p0441 I think). Is there anything that I can do to fix it?

I have been told that this is typical for a Stratus and that I need to trade it in. But I would much rather fix it because I do like the car. Any advice would be great!

aalee84
08-11-2009, 03:54 PM
I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus that was also having the check engine light coming on and off, finally it started blinking and then was steady on. I took it to my mechanic and was told that the 5th cylinder was miss firing and that I would need new spark plugs. The cost was to be $350, but I was told that while it was not great for the car, it was not hurting was the power.
Good luck to you!

GNXdreamin
09-18-2009, 10:01 PM
We had the same problem with our 04 stratus, 2.4 DOHC. P0441 code, which is an evap system failure. One of the most common problems is when you fill your tank, the overflow from the automatic shutoff from the pump runs into your evap canister, oversaturates it, and thorws the code. Then you'll notice rather intermittant performance issues. Try just partial fill ups for awhile. Don't top off the tank. That fixed our problem, but it does take a good week/week and a half for it to clear itself out. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!