2000 Windstar Coolant Crossover Tube Leak

kingfish70
08-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I did the Isolator bolt fix about four months ago (Thanks to everyone on this site). Yesterday I noticed a puddle of coolant under the van. I checked underneath and the coolant was dripping off the oil pan on the drivers side. I pulled the cowl back off and used a mirror and a light, I can see coolant dripping off the crossover tube next to where it goes into the intake. My questions are do I need to get new gaskets for the plenum? Any special instructions on removing the tube? Do I need to put anything on the o-ring of the tube before installation? Am I going to have to drain the coolant before doing this? Any other things I should know? Thanks for your help again.

Top_Notch
08-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Two weeks ago I finished the intake for the leaking gaskets AND a pin hole leak on the coolant crossover tube.

My questions are do I need to get new gaskets for the plenum?
Probably not assuming they come off in one piece.

Any special instructions on removing the tube?
Two screws hold it to the intake. Undo those, and remove the two hoses. Wiggle and pull up (repeat). Do not pry.

Do I need to put anything on the o-ring of the tube before installation?
I did. I put some vaseline on the o-ring just to make sure it would seal...and it did.

Am I going to have to drain the coolant before doing this?
No, although you may lose some during removal.

Any other things I should know?
XF2Z 8548 AA Tube assembly (coolant hose) ($59.44 ) Available at your local Ford dealer.

catvents
08-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Just an additional information, Rock Auto supply this genuine Ford part for $33.99 plus shipping.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
In cooling system see "By-Pass hose'

12Ounce
08-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Expect to waste the old piece in the removal process. I used a small wrecking bar to lift mine ... bent it to heck!

Robdaparamedic
08-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Did both my bypass hoses. Nothing needed to replace when doing plenum. You might as well replace them both but BE EXTREMELY CAREFULL WHEN REMOVING smaller tube from water pump. Remove altenator if you want but you will definately have to remove the stationary pulley which will involve lifting the engine up. It's as simple as apple pie. One nut in the front engine mount and use the stem of a jack stand, angled on a small floor jack and it takes 3 minutes to bump engine up. Only need to go up a few inches. Email me if you want to give me a call. I live under the hood of a 2000 Windbag. Robbyemt@roadrunner.com.

Rob

Add your comment to this topic!