454 big block GMC sierra vs 2.0L 420hp mitsubishi eclipse

din365
08-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Ok, I was having a little discussion with a friend of friend of mine about his mitsubishi, and my brother's 454 big block GM.

But, seeing how I need an unbiased view on this, and with the tale of the tape(both engines have obviously been redone), which one would most likely win in a drage race and a plain old straight up race?

Car 1:
1991 mitsubishi eclipse GSX-420 AWHP, roughly 300LBS of torque. 15 grand worth of work done to get it there.

Car 2:
1993 GMC sierra 1500 4x4-500HP and 400 lbs or torque. 4 grand worth of work on the engine(engine was bought for 600$, and reworked)

I just thought it would be an interesting racing question to some racing enteusiest, and give an unbiased perspective of things.

thanks.

Polygon
08-07-2009, 06:24 PM
1. How does the GSX have that much HP but next to no torque? Your numbers are way off. That car produces more than that stock.

2. Despite the numbers, the GSX has traction, the truck doesn't. The GSX is also lighter than the truck.

3. Now we have gearing. Who's is better for drag racing?

4. Lastly, who's the better driver?

There are too many variables to say for sure but my money is on the GSX.

din365
08-08-2009, 01:33 AM
sorry. My friend corrected me on this little fact. it is 300 lbs of torque. I fixed that in the original post just now.

TheBobsHere
08-08-2009, 02:01 AM
The Eclipse is lighter and more aerodynamic and was obviously built to race, I'd say it'd win on pavement. The truck is heavy and built like a brick so it would win off road. But, I'd like to see the Eclipse try in the mud, that would be fun. In the end it would take an actual race to find out for real, It all comes down to power to weight ratios, my money's on the Mitsu.

-The Stig-
08-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Eclipse, if it really does make 420 wheel horsepower that means it's making roughly 500hp at the crank. So the Mitsu and the Truck are making similar power, the Mitsu has the benefit of carrying about 2,000lbs less weight and has AWD to help with traction.

Just based on those facts, the Mitsu would win.

The only place the Truck maybe able to hurt it is if it's got large tires, and is geared up, having enough traction out back it might be able to hang with the Mitsu till about 60mph. Despite the weight differences, Trucks can still move out... Torque is your friend. Big Block Chevy's make good torque way low in the rev range, basically off idle...

Would be interesting to see nonetheless.

TheBobsHere
08-08-2009, 02:41 PM
The truck is 4X4 and heavy so off the line traction wouldn't be a problem. With really big gears and nitrous (and Jesus sitting in the passenger seat) maybe, maybe it would win. But that would be a miracle. The problem with gears big enough to pull 5500lbs off the line competitively is the engine would tach out before the end of the track and the Eclipse would eclipse the truck. Now, trailer a boat on the back of the eclipse and were talking an even race (and something I would just have to see).

Now, enough with the schoolboy racing, set it up and post the video.:evillol:

VR43000GT
08-08-2009, 02:58 PM
If those number are spot on the Ecplise would seriously wax him bad and it would only get worse as the race progressed.

BTW, how did it take your friend $15k to make 500hp in an Eclipse? Or is that what he has invested in the car as a whole with other (non-poweradding mods) mods?

din365
08-08-2009, 04:38 PM
If those number are spot on the Ecplise would seriously wax him bad and it would only get worse as the race progressed.

BTW, how did it take your friend $15k to make 500hp in an Eclipse? Or is that what he has invested in the car as a whole with other (non-poweradding mods) mods?
that's all in mods.
here's the list right here

Full Turbo Back Exhaust including Down and Test pipe.
Turbo Manifold
Hot Side
Intake
650 Injectors
fp Red Turbo
FMIC
MAF
Stage 2 Clutch
Evo3 o2 Housing
New oil Lines
Fuel Pump
272 shafts
Rubber around 4 Including Rims
All my strut bars/stabalizing bars
Brakes/pads around all 4
Coil Over Suspension work
Greddy BOV
Pistons
Rod
Bearing
Head Studs
AMS Tune
Boost Controller
Turbo Timer
Weight Reduction (nothing in trunk, replacing hood, and dropping backseats)

And for the GMC, I don't have an exact list, except for the intake being redone for sure.

Now, enough with the schoolboy racing, set it up and post the video

That won't happen untill at least next year, because both vehicles are still being built. However,when the open drag racing event happens at the provost Airport next year and if he does decide to enter it, and if it's back together by then, I'll be sure to at least get some video on it racing.

TheBobsHere
08-08-2009, 05:07 PM
The truck will be left like a girlfriend with herpes.

MZR_47
08-09-2009, 12:35 AM
The truck is going to lose in this case... But I am also curious on that $15,000 pricetag. That seems to be a bit much to me, but I could be wrong. Even on cars that are expensive to mod they can hit 500hp for under 10k.

CassiesMan
08-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Have the truck give the car a two car length advantage. When you line up and the flagger raises his arms, launch the truck hard in the rear quarter panel of the Eclipse hard. Truck wins.

Sleepr awd
08-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Fail that it took him 15000$ to make that much power. I imagine most of that is in labor, which shouldn't count. So realistically he's only got maybe 6000 and he still coulda spent that money wayyyyyy better.

Also on the gmc. 4wd isn't going to help, like at all. Providing he uses it, he can't switch back to 2wd when he gets traction and that 4wd will cause excessive drag on the powertrain. It won't assist whatsoever.

The eclipse will win by more than 1 second. If it doesn't make him sell the car for 200$ to me and I'll treat it right.

Add your comment to this topic!