Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

a/c fan problems

blslkn1
08-06-2009, 10:14 PM
my 96 gmc jimmy a/c fan will not work when car is first started. it comes on about 10 mins after starting the car and driving. i replaced the fan motor(junk yard motor) resister(new) relay(new) switch(junk yard) and have checked all fuses involved. the relay was bad and one wire in the relay bunch was melted slightly. it seems to cut out also now when stoped at red lights or slow moving traffic. any help will be great

ronaldk
08-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Is your a/c working properly because want you refer to as a/c fan is really coolent fan its suppost to come on when a/c is on because of extra drag on eng. But if a/c not working correctly it will come on as eng heats up to do its job (keeping eng from overheating).Maybe you need a/c checked.Good Luck

blazee
08-07-2009, 03:53 PM
my 96 gmc jimmy a/c fan will not work when car is first started. it comes on about 10 mins after starting the car and driving. i replaced the fan motor(junk yard motor) resister(new) relay(new) switch(junk yard) and have checked all fuses involved. the relay was bad and one wire in the relay bunch was melted slightly. it seems to cut out also now when stoped at red lights or slow moving traffic. any help will be great
Are you sure the fan is coming on? (may sound like a dumb question, but we don't know how much volume you are actually getting) You will have some air flow coming through the vent while driving regardless of if the fan is on or not. Either way at this point I would spend some time check out the wiring. If you found one bad spot, there could be more.

blazee
08-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Is your a/c working properly because want you refer to as a/c fan is really coolent fan its suppost to come on when a/c is on because of extra drag on eng. But if a/c not working correctly it will come on as eng heats up to do its job (keeping eng from overheating).Maybe you need a/c checked.Good LuckElectric cooling fans come on with the A/C in order to get more air flow across the condenser, not because of extra drag.

Also, these vehicles came with clutch fans, not electric.

rhandwor
08-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I would check for a loose ground wire.

blazee
08-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Your correct 96 has fan clutch not electric.The thing is he talks about relay and resistor which are on elec fan motors not manual sys. my wifes 97 blaser has elec fan yet when I look up even 2000 gmc jimmy it comes up non electric? Anyway!! he stuck his hand on fan to turn while running!!! I guess that clutch fan is bad since hes not complaining of lose of limb. And yes condenser needs to be colded when a/c is used but there is a major loss of HP(drag) when a/c is turned on ,which also needs to be addressed ,that will heat eng faster and is another reason radiator needs more air flow and elec fan would turn on. Oh op change your fan clutch.If you have odd ball and it has elec fan check your connections or change with new not junk yard.Luck to ya

He hasn't said anything about his cooling fan.

The relay and resistor that he's talking about is obviously for his A/C blower motor.

If your wife's Blazer has an electric fan, it was done after it left the factory, because they all came with clutch fans.

Where did he say that he stuck his hand in his fan?

The purpose of turning an electric cooling fan on with the A/C (on vehicles that actually have electric fans) is to flow air over the condenser.... simple as that. Yes the A/C obviously puts more drag on the engine, but it is not a concern. When the A/C is switched on the fan comes on regardless of engine temperature.

Look, I understand that you are trying to help, but telling someone to change their clutch fan to address a problem with their A/C fan is not the type of advice we need here, and certainly isn't helpful to the thread starter.

Add your comment to this topic!