Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

car shakes when accelerating into right turns

superslink
08-06-2009, 09:51 PM
it shakes only when accelerating into the turn at a speed above or close to 25 mph
left turns are fine actually theyre great lol
checked cv boots no signs of wear or grease escaping
checked transaxle fluid and outer seals
worried about the ball joint (will probably take it out this weekend and check it) also tie rod

thing is if it was the ball joint/tie rod wouldnt this happen if i coasted around a corner too (which it doesnt)
recently changed the control arm (the problem already existed)
its not making any sounds tried driving in circles slowly radio off also tried reversing in circles nothing can be heard and the bump isnt there unless im over about 25mph
shocks seem fine did the bounce car test lol she comes back to the same position in one movement
any ideas hugely appreciated
:banghead:

jdmccright
08-18-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm confused since this title is for problems in right turns but your private message says left...not even sure why I got the message, but no matter.

Coasting in a turn and accelerating in a turn result in two different suspension positions. Coasting or decelerating results in front end dive, but accelerating lifts the front end. The lift or dive is more pronounced on the inboard wheel of the turn. If a ball joint is worn out, then it may be positioned okay for the coast but when driven hard it may not be able to hold alignment, causing binding in that CV joint.

You should be able to put the front end up on stands and then use the floor jack to compress each front wheel's suspension one at a time, turn the wheel hard right and left, and try to spin the wheels while the car is in neutral. Of course if you hear popping noises while jacking, then it's pretty assured your ball joints are shot. And if they are shot and this has been going on for a while then the CV joint has probably been damaged as well.

Add your comment to this topic!