Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brakes on 2002 K1500

raco232
08-05-2009, 09:14 PM
When I brake, I feel like I have good braking power. But when I push hard on the pedal and fast, the pedal goes all the way down and it seems like it takes longer to stop. I just had a master cylinder replaced last week and the mechanic said that he took it for a test and the anti-lock was working when braking hard, but it does not come on for me. I am on dry pavement when this has happened. Any suggestions? Would the calipers cause a problem. I just got the rotors turned and have ceramic pads on it now and I am still dissatisfied with the stopping time.

Cusser
08-07-2009, 09:07 AM
I believe the anti-lock only has any effect in a panic-type stop to prevent skidding - I doubt any mechanic - or you - would want to do such just as a test. Your brake pedal should not go down like you described. I would focus on (1) brake bleeding issues or (2) the newly-installed master cylinder.

Of course I'm assuming that the previous master cylinder was truly the at-fault part of your original issue - and you didn't state what that was (like: could a caliper or wheel cylinder have been the real issue there?)..

j cAT
08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
When I brake, I feel like I have good braking power. But when I push hard on the pedal and fast, the pedal goes all the way down and it seems like it takes longer to stop. I just had a master cylinder replaced last week and the mechanic said that he took it for a test and the anti-lock was working when braking hard, but it does not come on for me. I am on dry pavement when this has happened. Any suggestions? Would the calipers cause a problem. I just got the rotors turned and have ceramic pads on it now and I am still dissatisfied with the stopping time.

pedal to floor means a leak....don't take much to have this occur....just replaced my rear brake line between fuel tank and frame rail...line looked perfect except where you could not see it....hidden ..

air in system,,or overly cut rotors,,,worn pads will give a soft pedal...spongy pedal...

I don't agree with the ceramic pads....my opinion n/g..

when you hit the brakes hard the rear wheels should slide and the Abs WILL ACTIVATE..appears your brakes are not working properly.

Add your comment to this topic!