Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tires out of true permanently - harmful?

xfimpg
08-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi Everyone
I have 4 tires, that due to a bad balancing machine over a long period of time, have become out of true permanently. Still driveable, but irritating because the whole car shakes.

My question is are there any consequences to keep these tires, ie. harm done to ball joint areas, additional vibrations transmitted to the brakes when stopping?

Michael

oldblu65
08-10-2009, 08:15 PM
You could lose control of your car as well as accelerate the wear of many mechanical components ! It's not really very safe , be careful if you continue to use them . Good luck !

nmikmik
11-15-2009, 09:13 AM
+1 on ^ It's very unsafe to keep driving it and you are better off getting a set of (i am usually against them, but if money are tight :rolleyes:) used tires. Depending on the miles on your car the wheel bearings will probably go first.

RT Jam
01-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Are you sure it's the tires and not the rims. Please define out of true in a number.
Runout at the rim, lateral or side to side or is it the tires for sure?

xfimpg
01-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Are you sure it's the tires and not the rims. Please define out of true in a number.
Runout at the rim, lateral or side to side or is it the tires for sure?

The mechanic verified the rims on a balancing machine and couldnt see any rims being bent. Meanwhile, he ran his hand on the back of one of the tires and said he could feel the uneveness of the tire.

Other than getting slight-to-moderately irritating vibrations from the steering wheel, this is all I know. :frown:

RT Jam
01-07-2010, 04:29 PM
He could veel it but could not see it?

Stop listening to their excuses and put a number on it. Measure the runout with a dial indicator. It only takes about 0.040" to shake some cars.

CapriRacer
01-08-2010, 07:07 AM
From the beginning, this sounded like irregular wear - and still does.

There's no fixing irregular wear short of replacing the tires. Nevertheless, the original question is valid - but there's no long term bad effect except for the annoying vibration.

xfimpg
01-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. :smile:
The jury has decided to run these tires for the end of this winter and then junk them.
With about 10000 miles to go on them, it should be tolerable.

Add your comment to this topic!