Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Ciera Fuel Pump Wiring

growe58
08-03-2009, 09:20 PM
My son has a 1993 Ciera with the 3.3 V6. Last year it was parked and left untouched for a year while he was away at college. We are now trying to get it started. It cranks fine, but won't fire. With some starting fluid in the intake, it will run for a few seconds. It's obvious the fuel pump isn't working as it is not audible nor is there any fuel at the fuel rail. Before dropping the tank to replace, I decided to check the wiring at the connector underneath the car and I am apparently getting no electric power to the fuel pump via the gray wire, at least I was unable to get the test light to light.

The manual says the fuse for the fuel pump is under the hood but I couldn't find. I also wasn't sure which of the three relays I should check. Finally the car is stored about 45 minutes away which makes it a pain to work on. Is there any reason I can't run a wire (suitably fused) straight from the battery to the fuel pump so the car can be driven home and worked on there?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

JohnDD
08-04-2009, 01:37 AM
My son has a 1993 Ciera with the 3.3 V6. Last year it was parked and left untouched for a year while he was away at college. We are now trying to get it started. It cranks fine, but won't fire. With some starting fluid in the intake, it will run for a few seconds. It's obvious the fuel pump isn't working as it is not audible nor is there any fuel at the fuel rail. Before dropping the tank to replace, I decided to check the wiring at the connector underneath the car and I am apparently getting no electric power to the fuel pump via the gray wire, at least I was unable to get the test light to light.

The manual says the fuse for the fuel pump is under the hood but I couldn't find. I also wasn't sure which of the three relays I should check. Finally the car is stored about 45 minutes away which makes it a pain to work on. Is there any reason I can't run a wire (suitably fused) straight from the battery to the fuel pump so the car can be driven home and worked on there?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
My 91 Cutlass Ciera manual shows the 4 relays and fuel pump relay fuse as mounted on a bracket in the right front corner of the engine compartment. (I've scrapped the car and can't verify the location).
I would be somewhat careful about jumpering the fuel pump while driving because there would be no way to shut down the fuel flow if the fuel lines broke/ had a leak (accident)? But jumpering would be a good way to get the car running. You might also need to jumper the ground side of the pump to ground (black wire).
My first guess would be that the connector on the fuel pump or on the fuel pump relay are giving a poor connection or that you have a poor ground connection.

growe58
08-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the reply (sorry it took so long to post my thanks but I've been out of town).

In case anyone else stumbles on this thread, I have some more info
The fuel pump relay is next to the radiator on the passenger side (there are - I think - four relays mounted there and the fuel pump relay is the one closest to the radiator).
The fuel pump fuse is located right in front of the relay, it has a red and orange wire going to it and it needs to be removed from a sheath before it can be seen.

I also found out I was totally off base about not getting power to the fuel pump with the ignition on. That is actually normal. The relay shuts off unless there is oil pressure - that is a safety feature to prevent the fuel from continuing to pump when the car has been in a bad enough accident to stall the engine. You will only get power to the fuel pump when the oil pressure builds plus a 2 second pulse when the ignition is first turned on just to prime the fuel rail. I verified with a test light that that is exactly what I DO have.

So its looking like the fuel pump is the culprit. Can't wait to drop the gas tank. Does it need to be completely empty to prevent spillage? Anyone done this?

Thanks!

Greg

Airjer_
08-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Whack the tank a couple of times right about in the middle while somebody crancks the engine over. There is a good chance it will start and keep going until you get it home granted you don't shut it off.

growe58
08-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Whack the tank a couple of times right about in the middle while somebody crancks the engine over. There is a good chance it will start and keep going until you get it home granted you don't shut it off.

A neighbor of mine who is a professional wrench suggested the same thing; unfortuneatly, it didn't work. Perhaps because the car has been sitting so long, the fuel pump is not only merely dead, but really most sincerely dead.

But it was a great suggestion and I thank you for your advice.

I had worked on it a little bit last weekend and had gotten all the connections to the fuel tank loose but my cheap siphon wouldn't start flowing any of the gas. As there are 6 or 7 gallons in there, I'm a little hesitant to drop the tank, a little spill is no big deal but a couple of gallons over the driveway and lawn could get really ugly. I'm going to buy a better siphon and try again this weekend.

Thanks again!

eyesi
09-16-2009, 04:57 PM
http://search.ebscohost.com/Community.aspx?community=y&authtype=uid&ugt=723731963C0635473786354632453E4229E366D3661368 9367E324E336133503&return=y

All you need, Choose ARRC, Luck!

Add your comment to this topic!