Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 ls need help

lincolnlsboy
08-03-2009, 05:05 PM
i been trying to find a tread that would help me fix my problem but i have no luck i want to know what to check to see whats wrong with my 2000 lincoln ls v8. my car turns on normaly but when i put it in to drive or reverse and press the gas it wont go just i little but when i press it all the way down the rpm's start to go up slowly then its starts to move slowly. i just need advice to check all the possible solutions

gcwimmer
08-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Sounds like the 3K rev limiter for neutral and park is kicking in before you engage revers or drive. Don't know the solution.

shorod
08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Sounds a bit like you might have a misfire. When the car starts to move, is the engine running pretty roughly? Does the exhaust smell like it has a lot of unburned fuel in it?

-Rod

lincolnlsboy
08-04-2009, 07:15 PM
when the car is in park and i rev the engin it does smell like unburned gas but when i put it on drive and try to give it some gas it try's to go but then it just turns off. what is wierd to me is that when its on park the engin seem like its running good but when i just put it in to gear it starts to shake like it wants to turn off also this morning i hooked up the cumputer and it read something about the primary coil circut malfuction a,h,g and i i think i dont remeber if thats what it said exactly because i erased it before i wrote the codes down also when i was reving the engin tiny little peaces of metal keept coming out of the mefflers and big explosions to

shorod
08-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Yep, that definitely sounds like a misfire, and it sounds like it's been doing it for long enough that the exhaust is starting to melt itself apart.

The 2000-2002 model year is known for having leaking valve cover gaskets that cause oil to saturate the coils and they misfire through the oil to the head. The fuel in the cylidners does not get burned and goes into the exhaust. The catalytic converters attempt to convert all the unburned fuel to water vapor and overheat in the process. That is probably what you see coming out your exhaust, and the hot converters from all the unburned fuel is probably igniting that unburned fuel causing the backfire and further blowing pieces of converter out the exhaust. If caught and fixed early enough, you probably would just be looking at coils, valve cover gaskets, and probably spark plugs while you're in there. Now, you're probably looking at all those items plus a couple of catalytic converters.

-Rod

lincolnlsboy
08-04-2009, 10:14 PM
ok thanks i will see if that helps me if i replace all of that. i just want to get my car runing so i can drive it all summer. just to make sure could there be any thing else wrong with it i want to fix all the possible solutions

lincolnlsboy
08-15-2009, 03:13 PM
hey i found out that my car is sending to much gas well thats what my uncle told me the other day i had my car on and about 10 minutes after the car wormed up to normal i felt that the engin was to hot but the dash didnt show any light or signs that it was. but then i look underneth the car because i heard a sound from the muffler and i saw that the output of the catalitic converter was glowing red it was just on the passenger side does any one know why would it send to much gas or what the problem might be

shorod
08-15-2009, 08:14 PM
See my prior post about a misfire.

-Rod

lincolnlsboy
08-25-2009, 08:22 PM
hey is there a way to test a coil to see if its good or not

shorod
08-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Do you have a code for a particular coil or cylinder misfire? There are reliable methods to test the coils but they require an oscilloscope.

If you have a code for a particular cylinder, the easiest thing to do would be to swap that cylinder's coil for another cylinder's coil and see if the misfire code follows the coil. On the V8 this is not too difficult of a process and all 8 coils should be the same part number.

-Rod

lincolnlsboy
08-26-2009, 08:55 AM
i have miss fire on cylinders 2 3 6 and 8

shorod
08-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Since that's half the cylinders, you could still move coils around to see if the misfires follow the coils. However, with misfires on that many cylinders, you probably have some other root cause than "failed coils." You might have the common leaking valve cover gaskets which saturate the coils in oil and allow the spark to short to the head through the oil rather than through the spark plug.

-Rod

lincolnlsboy
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
hey thanks for your help rod i finally fixed my prolem im so happy my car is up and running i bought 8 injecters and 10 used coils from this one dude that had a totaled ls the parts only had like 60xxx miles on them and i bought all of that off of him for 100 bucks and i just took all my coils out and put in the ones i bought and my car is runing eve better than when i bought the car thanks rod

shorod
08-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Did you notice if the coils you took out were saturated in oil? If so, you'll want to fix the valve cover gaskets before the new coils do the same thing.

-Rod

lincolnlsboy
08-26-2009, 08:32 PM
no they weren't i think the previus owner changed the valve cover gasket when he owned it and i think the coils that i had on the car where the stock ones cause they looked realy old maybe thats why it was missfiring hey i have a question how long do you think this lincoln ls could last if i take car of it cause mine has 139xxx miles on it?

shorod
08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
That's kind of a loaded question. I suppose the car can last as long as you want it to, assuming parts remain available, you keep up on maintenance, and you are willing to invest in parts for it. We're already finding that some parts are no longer available through the dealer, and there is little aftermarket following. I think the engines are pretty robust when properly maintained though, the transmissions were used in enough vehicles that parts will likely remain available for some time along with folks experienced with their internals. Of course with all the Explorers turned in as Clunkers, the demand for the transmission and expertise in them may decrease rapidly.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!