Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New ignition cylinder, security light still on, now what??

ff_sssmokin
08-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Security light has been on for a year. Car would not start the other day. Wife "jiggled" keys and car started. I tried again several times after she got home, started fine. Decided to change ignition cylinder as by reading all the posts, that appeared to be the problem. Car did not start with new cylinder. Performed the re-learn sequence and now car starts fine. However, security light is still on. Is the problem something else?

lramirez
08-03-2009, 12:15 PM
hello i was having the same problem with my 02 impala with the security light and car not starting I inally got it fixed 2 weeks ago. It was on for over a year and my car would not start I would have to wiggle the key and wait excatly 10min before it would start. Well I had to get the key lock cylinder changed out and it took care of the problem.

ff_sssmokin
08-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Car has been starting fine, but the security light is still on. Is there a way i can reset it?

gherikill
08-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm assuming the light is on solid (not flahsing security light)?

One way to reset is to disconnect your battery overnight.

I have had a solid light for about 3 years (never had a problem starting). When I got my battery changed the light was reset for about 2 weeks before it came back on. I just put some tape over the light now.

fungii
11-15-2009, 11:42 PM
I have a similar problem, my key won't turn at all, and the security light on the radio is flashing. Is this a problem with the ignition cylinder, or is the key not turning related to the security system. Anyone out there know anything about this?

Colt Hero
11-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Don't have any suggestion for your problem, unfortunately, but I'd just like to add (for the sake of history on this problem) that my '02 3.4 Impala (bought brand new) has experienced this problem (SECURITY Light ON and a no-start condition) three times. First occurrence was in September 2007 (97.5k). 2nd occurrence came only 15 days later (98k). Third occurrence was July 2008 (107k).

The car has NEVER been serviced by anyone but me and I've done NOTHING to try to fix this problem. Nonetheless, I haven't seen the SECURITY light ON, nor have I experienced the "no-start" condition, for almost a year and a half now. SO - I'm thinking it's NOT the cylinder, but some type of more random electronics issue - but that's just a guess ...

SierraK1500
11-30-2009, 01:35 PM
If the key will not turn, could be a number of things. You have dirt in the lock cylinder. Get WD40 with a spray nozzle and shoot it into the cylinder. Move the key in and out several times. Take something and TAP the key while trying to turn it. It should release,
as this has happened in my 2005 Impala. I finally got a new cylinder and had the key matched to the cylinder as to keep from having 2 kays. Swapped out the cylinders and did a relearn sequence for the BCM . Car has been fine since.

Add your comment to this topic!