Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hot Air Only

careann92
07-31-2009, 08:58 PM
I have a 1992 and noticed that my AC wasn't blowing its full potential cold air, so I recharged my freon. I had to empty what was in it as it was still using R12 then I filled it with 134A. I followed the directions to the T but now when I hit auto to turn on my car it goes to ECOM and blows only hot air no matter the temp I use.

I have checked for leaks, but do you think that maybe when I emptied the freon the codes sensed that and now my compressor won't kick back on. I know that there is plenty of freon in it now, but I just can't get it to give me the lovely cold air I'm looking for.

Any ideas or can you reset the codes?

Any Ideas???

Thanks !!

HotZ28
07-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Start the engine and turn A/C off, then turn the ignition OFF. Wait for the system to completely shut down, then disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait for about 1-min and reconnect the cable. Start the engine and turn the air ON and see if the compressor engages. BTW, did you pull a vacuum on the system before trying to recharge? How do you know you have plenty of Freon in the system if the compressor does not engage?

imidazol97
08-01-2009, 09:27 AM
I have a 1992 and noticed that my AC wasn't blowing its full potential cold air, so I recharged my freon. I had to empty what was in it as it was still using R12 then I filled it with 134A. I followed the directions to the T but now when I hit auto to turn on my car it goes to ECOM and blows only hot air no matter the temp I use.
Thanks !!

Did you drain the old oil and replace with new oil for the 134a?

careann92
08-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Thank you! That worked perfectly! But you were right I didn't have enough freon.

-Carrie

HotZ28
08-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Thank you! That worked perfectly! But you were right I didn't have enough freon.

-CarrieThanks for the feedback, but you failed to answer our questions! For those who may reference this thread in the future, when you do a retrofit from R12 to R134a, you should evacuate the system, change the accumulator, flush the system, change the oil to PAG-150, replace the orifice screen (expansion valve) , evacuate and then do a recharge, otherwise you will have future problems! Good Luck!

careann92
08-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Sorry, didn't realize I had any questions to answer. Forgive me this is my roommates car I'm just the girl good with forums!!

Next time I promise better results!!!

-Carrie

Add your comment to this topic!