Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'05 Jimmy 4WD problem - here we go again!

ninepointer
07-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Switching in and out between 2WD & 4-Hi in my 2005 Jimmy (3-button) was unreliable at best. It seems to go into 4-Lo much easier.

Right after I bought the Jimmy in 2007 I had a used encoder moter swapped in. When that didn't solve the problem, I had a used TCCM swapped in last fall. All worked fine until recently.

Now the same old symptoms are back:
-Shifting may take 2 or 3 pushes of the button;
-Sometimes can only shift if in neutral;
-Sometimes I push the button and nothing happens whatsoever. So I shift to neutral, push button and only get blinking lights;
-When all else fails, I unplug the TCCM, wait a minute or 2 and plug it back in. All will work fine for a day or 2, then back to the same old problem:banghead:

Last year I had the GM dealer look at it, but he wants to put in a new encoder motor for $1200, based on the following diagnosis:

"CAUSE:
SCAN TEST, CODE DTC002, VOLTAGE TO ENCODER MOTOR OK, ON CIRCUIT P,A.B.C. (501 volts) TEST GROUNDS, OK, POWER OK

CORRECTION:
CLEARED CODE, WORKED TWICE THEN WOULD NOT SWITCH MODES, SWAP MODULE WITH GOOD MODULE, REQUIRES ENCODER MOTOR REPLACED."

Given that the encoder motor was previously swapped, I'm not so sure that's the problem.

I feel like everybody (GM tech included) is just guessing and swapping out parts. Surely this can be fixed, no? HELP:frown:

MT-2500
07-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Switching in and out between 2WD & 4-Hi in my 2005 Jimmy (3-button) was unreliable at best. It seems to go into 4-Lo much easier.

Right after I bought the Jimmy in 2007 I had a used encoder moter swapped in. When that didn't solve the problem, I had a used TCCM swapped in last fall. All worked fine until recently.

Now the same old symptoms are back:
-Shifting may take 2 or 3 pushes of the button;
-Sometimes can only shift if in neutral;
-Sometimes I push the button and nothing happens whatsoever. So I shift to neutral, push button and only get blinking lights;
-When all else fails, I unplug the TCCM, wait a minute or 2 and plug it back in. All will work fine for a day or 2, then back to the same old problem:banghead:

Last year I had the GM dealer look at it, but he wants to put in a new encoder motor for $1200, based on the following diagnosis:

"CAUSE:
SCAN TEST, CODE DTC002, VOLTAGE TO ENCODER MOTOR OK, ON CIRCUIT P,A.B.C. (501 volts) TEST GROUNDS, OK, POWER OK

CORRECTION:
CLEARED CODE, WORKED TWICE THEN WOULD NOT SWITCH MODES, SWAP MODULE WITH GOOD MODULE, REQUIRES ENCODER MOTOR REPLACED."

Given that the encoder motor was previously swapped, I'm not so sure that's the problem.

I feel like everybody (GM tech included) is just guessing and swapping out parts. Surely this can be fixed, no? HELP:frown:

Still could be the encoder motor.
Proper testing will give the answer.
If the wiring circuits and grounds are good between TCCM and encoder motor then the problem is in the encoder motor.

1200$ sounds a litt;le high for for a encoder motor.
I would shop around a little.
Good Luck

ninepointer
07-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks MT :smile:. Quite frankly, the problem I'm running into is that nobody seems interested in doing the kind of testing you receommend (this includes the GM dealer). Whenever I've suggested to somebody that they probe a bit deeper before swapping out parts, they look at me like I have 2 heads!

Anyway, I've got another shop that recently showed itself to be staight-shooter when it came to a repair on my other Jimmy (1995), so I might give them a try on my 2005 Jimmy.

Cheers:smile:

MT-2500
07-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks MT :smile:. Quite frankly, the problem I'm running into is that nobody seems interested in doing the kind of testing you receommend (this includes the GM dealer). Whenever I've suggested to somebody that they probe a bit deeper before swapping out parts, they look at me like I have 2 heads!

Anyway, I've got another shop that recently showed itself to be staight-shooter when it came to a repair on my other Jimmy (1995), so I might give them a try on my 2005 Jimmy.

Cheers:smile:

Yes proper testing before throwing parts at it.
Also some places can make a repair on/inside somne of the encoder motor.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Add your comment to this topic!