Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to tighten crankshaft bolt

jyguy915
07-25-2009, 02:34 AM
Hi all, I have a question that I wanted to ask a long time ago. I changed out my timing belt, water pump, etc. about a 1/2 year ago. Did the starter trick for the crankshaft bolt, worked like a charm. Now here is the question. HOw did you guys tighten that sucker back to it's torque spec of 128 ft/lbs? I used a torque wrench and a strap wrench wraped around the crankshaft. I had my sister hold the strap wrench while I torque it down. I was never able to get the torque wrech to click. I just put it on as tight as I could and left it. Now I am worry that the bolt might come lose one of these days. Its been fine so far and I check it every now and then. Still tight. So Im just wondering how everyone else tighten it down. Thank..

Cat Fuzz
07-25-2009, 01:20 PM
I use an air impact wrench being very careful that it is set for the correct direction. It gets very close to the radiator and if you loosen the bolt all the way with it, it will mash the radiator. But, I realize not everyone has an air impact. Another way I would try would be to remove the ring gear inspection plate right between the engine and trans and have an assistant hold the ring gear with a pry bar or very large screwdriver and then tighten the bolt that way.

Or, if your truck happens to be a manual, set the brake, put it in a high gear and that should be good enough to hold it to get the torque you need.

dougand3
09-24-2009, 10:04 AM
"Did the starter trick for the crankshaft bolt"

Could you enlighten me on this? I'm replacing the water pump on 1995 Isuzu pickup 2WD.
Thanks, Doug

FL 3.2L
09-24-2009, 11:00 PM
I didn't know the starter trick, so I torqued it the same way I got it off. Two long cheater bars. One on a breaker bar/socket on the bolt, and the other on a pipe wrench on the water pump.

Add your comment to this topic!