Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Blazer Won't Go in Reverse

Moneer81
07-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Hello,

So today my 1997 Blazer transmission decided to start giving me a headache. After making a 200 mile trip out of town, and at the last few miles, I wasn't able to go as fast as usual. I was trying to drive at 65 mph and the engine's RPM was pretty high but I wasn't able to exceed 60 mph. When I got to my destination a few minutes later, I found out that it won't go in reverse, at all. I added a quart of transmission fluid and it is still refusing to go in reverse. It engages when I put it in D, but not in reverse. I am not sure if it engages at high RPM or not, but I know I am having trouble.

Do you guys think my transmission is shot or is there any way to save it? It hasn't been slipping or anything so I think it is kinda weird for it to suddenly die. I did replace the shocks 2 days ago and it has been idling funny after I replaced the throttle cable, but I don't think that would affect it going in reverse.

Any suggestions?

MT-2500
07-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Hello,

So today my 1997 Blazer transmission decided to start giving me a headache. After making a 200 mile trip out of town, and at the last few miles, I wasn't able to go as fast as usual. I was trying to drive at 65 mph and the engine's RPM was pretty high but I wasn't able to exceed 60 mph. When I got to my destination a few minutes later, I found out that it won't go in reverse, at all. I added a quart of transmission fluid and it is still refusing to go in reverse. It engages when I put it in D, but not in reverse. I am not sure if it engages at high RPM or not, but I know I am having trouble.

Do you guys think my transmission is shot or is there any way to save it? It hasn't been slipping or anything so I think it is kinda weird for it to suddenly die. I did replace the shocks 2 days ago and it has been idling funny after I replaced the throttle cable, but I don't think that would affect it going in reverse.

Any suggestions?

No reverse is not good.
Unless filter is pluged or low on fluid it is internal transmission problems.

Make sure it is full of fluid engine running/transmission hot in park.
Is fluid burnt?
Any transmission codes or slipping in forward gears?
Make sure filter is in good shape and not pluged.
Any metal or clutches or plastic in bottom of pan or filter.

Post back what you find.

blazee
07-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Judging by your description, it sounds as though the transmission was actually in 3rd at highway speed instead of overdrive. This in conjunction with not having reverse, would lead me to suspect the sun shell. In forward, pay close attention to the shifts and confirm that you have lost 2nd, and 4th gears along with reverse. If such is the case, unfortunately the shell is broken and the tranny will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

wafrederick
07-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Proballly has a broken sunshell and a very common problem.The "beast" after market sunshells do break and I know a transmission shop that has seen them broken.

Add your comment to this topic!