Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03' Jetta w/ Issues w/ Intermittent flickering dashboard lights.Need advice!

MellyBear
07-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I have a 2003 VW Jetta GLS that was purchased about 3 months ago. In the first 2 weeks the alternator was replaced twice.Everything had been fine since then until my car was hit on the driver's side fender and part of my door.It wasn't too bad, but enough to send it to the autobody shop. When they returned my car she looked great, but I did notice that the digital tripmeter was reset, and the time on the clock was wrong. Last time I saw something like that was when I was having the issue with the alternator. That same night after getting the car from the shop, the internal lights began to flicker inside the car (dashboard,radio, door panels, etc.) and I heard 3 beeps and the ABS light flickered. The remote key would not work to open the doors. However, the car didn't shut off not once. Once I shut her off and back on, everything electrical functioned. The next day, not one symptom. I took her to the dealer and they checked all the grounds, cleaned the battery terminals and did not find anything. The mechanic did mention he did not check the ground wire behind the dashboard. I told him that I bet that's the one! He said the alternator and battery are fine. After a week of getting it checked, I experienced the flickering lights again last night. I don't really know what to think at this point or do. The car is not under warranty, although I plan to buy an extended service contract.

My questions to you guys...
Do you think the issue came originally from the auto body place? I am assuming they had to remove the door to paint it? Perhaps they didn't wire it back correctly?

Is it the dash cluster that's going out? A bad ground behind the dash?:screwy:

Please advise. Thank you all for your help.

vectortech
07-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Its definaly a ground issue- I dont think they looked hard enough. Could also be a broken wire shorting out were the damage took place. I would really press the body shop to see what they took apart.

Add your comment to this topic!