Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A few Questions

4onFloor
07-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi, I have some questions about a 99 2.2 with a 5 speed and 83,000 miles. I considering buying this truck from a small dealership but there are a few things that worry me. I went to look at the truck yesterday and when I started it, the engine seemed to crank over a lot longer than it should have before it actually started, but once started it runs and drives great. I thought maybe this was caused from sitting for a long time, but it did the same thing 30 minutes later when i started it again. Maybe a bad fuel pressure regulator?

The second thing I noticed was the gear shifter. It seemed to have quite a bit of free play when in the neutral position and I seemed to have a little trouble finding 4th gear when i went for a drive, but it did shift and go into gear smoothly. Is this normal? or is there possibly a return spring that could be broken? I haven't driven a stick shift in a long time so maybe it's all in my head.

I brought both things to the dealers attention and he called me today and said that he took the truck in to the shop and looked at both problems. He said the engine started just fine for him. He also said that he drove it today and it shifted fine for him. He said that there might be air in the hydraulic clutch from sitting so long, but I dont know what the hell that would have to do with the shifter being a little loose. He assured me that everything was fine.

Does this sound like normal wear and tear? Anything to be worried about? It's a beautiful one owner truck that was well taken care of, so i would really like to buy it.

Thanks guys!

Btw, is the 2.2 a good engine?

MT-2500
07-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Hi, I have some questions about a 99 2.2 with a 5 speed and 83,000 miles. I considering buying this truck from a small dealership but there are a few things that worry me. I went to look at the truck yesterday and when I started it, the engine seemed to crank over a lot longer than it should have before it actually started, but once started it runs and drives great. I thought maybe this was caused from sitting for a long time, but it did the same thing 30 minutes later when i started it again. Maybe a bad fuel pressure regulator?

The second thing I noticed was the gear shifter. It seemed to have quite a bit of free play when in the neutral position and I seemed to have a little trouble finding 4th gear when i went for a drive, but it did shift and go into gear smoothly. Is this normal? or is there possibly a return spring that could be broken? I haven't driven a stick shift in a long time so maybe it's all in my head.

I brought both things to the dealers attention and he called me today and said that he took the truck in to the shop and looked at both problems. He said the engine started just fine for him. He also said that he drove it today and it shifted fine for him. He said that there might be air in the hydraulic clutch from sitting so long, but I dont know what the hell that would have to do with the shifter being a little loose. He assured me that everything was fine.

Does this sound like normal wear and tear? Anything to be worried about? It's a beautiful one owner truck that was well taken care of, so i would really like to buy it.

Thanks guys!

Btw, is the 2.2 a good engine?

I would beware on that deal.
Sounds like a car dealer wanting to get it sold without the proper repair being done before sale.

Slow start and lose shifting/hard shifting adds up to expensive repair problems.

Ask them if you can take it to your mechamnic for a check over.
If the refuse wall away.

Add your comment to this topic!