Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Yet another '06 RC211V (Konica)

racer93
07-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey all!

This is my first WIP here on AF. Please be kind! I am not sure how well I can keep updated, but I'll try my best. So, here we go!

I started with the most detailing options I've had for any model yet. I had the TS set, the TS chain set, and the Pitwalk '06 guide (very well worth the purchase). So, on with the pics.

First are several views of the engine. It's not finished yet, but getting close. Much more wiring and plumbing to come.

Next is the chassis. This wiring is tedious! Good Lord! I'm seeing where all of this is coming together. It's really neat in that way. However, looking at the Pitwalk book really overwhelms you with your options. It's pretty much endless as to how detailed you can get! A shot of the fuel tank is in there (the cap is the wrong color, but that will be corrected...), complete with weld lines. This is correct, as per the Pitwalk photos. I made these using 0.3 mm solder crushed with pliers and it looks pretty convincing in person. I hope it does on here.

A shot of the rear brake disk...

Finally the front fork. I used the tamiya turned aluminum forks. I'm impressed. Lots of detail from the TS set. I have yet to finish this section. I need to take someone's advice that I read a while back and finish one section at a time and then (and only then) move on to the next.

Finally you can see how my models are taking over my basement! I just found 4 1/12 F1 kits for an unbelievable bargain ($150 shipped), so my pile will only get bigger!

Any and all comments welcome!

Daniel

John18d
07-21-2009, 07:07 PM
It looks like you're on your way with this build - I also have this kit to build so I'll watch your WIP. Also the welds on the fuel tank look good, but maybe a little too big for scale - John

racer93
07-21-2009, 08:30 PM
It looks like you're on your way with this build - I also have this kit to build so I'll watch your WIP. Also the welds on the fuel tank look good, but maybe a little too big for scale - John

Actually, it's pretty close, from what I could tell in the pics. They're pretty large. No delicate welding job there...

Daniel

KevHw
07-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Is the frame still in the kit chrome or did you use alclad? Everything's looking really good. I too have the '06 kit in my stash so I'll be following this closely. I messed up my TS chain kit for a M1 I've half built...those chains are so frustrating! Hope you have more luck than me...£20 down the drain :banghead:

racer93
07-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Is the frame still in the kit chrome or did you use alclad? Everything's looking really good. I too have the '06 kit in my stash so I'll be following this closely. I messed up my TS chain kit for a M1 I've half built...those chains are so frustrating! Hope you have more luck than me...£20 down the drain :banghead:

Thanks, Kev. The frame is alclad chrome. About that I'm very conflicted. The pics in the pitwalk show a darker, flat aluminum. But when you look at it in the MotoGP broadcasts, they are VERY polished and shiny. It's weird. It looks like two completely separate things.

I had problems with the chain as well. :frown:

kans0002
07-22-2009, 10:21 AM

Hey Dan, looking awesome so far...a few questions for ya. Did you use the Tamiya colors for this bike? I used the zero paints set and thought it was awesome! Also, any chance you could give us a detailed review of the chain? I am looking at purchasing one of these but have heard nothing but negative things about them and am wondering if it is worth my money/time to make this investment.

Keep up the good work!

Stuart

p.s. I saw you have a quite a few DTM cars in your stash... I also have the Mercedes D2 DTM car in my stash and am thinking about starting it next.

racer93
07-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Hey Dan, looking awesome so far...a few questions for ya. Did you use the Tamiya colors for this bike? I used the zero paints set and thought it was awesome! Also, any chance you could give us a detailed review of the chain? I am looking at purchasing one of these but have heard nothing but negative things about them and am wondering if it is worth my money/time to make this investment.

Keep up the good work!

Stuart

p.s. I saw you have a quite a few DTM cars in your stash... I also have the Mercedes D2 DTM car in my stash and am thinking about starting it next.

Thanks, Stu. The chain looks awesome. Nothing better! However, it is very, very tedious to put together. You have to be very careful in hammering it together, making sure that the connections are flattened enough to hold it together.

I did use mostly Tamiya colors. On most of the metallic colors, I used Alclad paints. Most of the wires are Top Studio stuff. That set is really good. I recommend it. Easy to use, although I would make sure to have a reference like the Pitwalk to guide you.

I do love the "stock" cars, like WRC, BTCC, DTM, JGTC, etc. They're fun to watch and to build.

Daniel

baldwinc
07-22-2009, 02:01 PM
This is one of my favorite race schemes too, all is looking very good. I find the sometimes the challenge is to decide where to stop the detailing. Some colors do appear drastic when viewed in person or on TV.

Congratulations

Seventyseven
07-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Dude! great looking build! what did you use for the fuel tank welds? I like to use the corner of a small tube to get the '))))))))))' effect on heat stretched plastic. The brakes look awesome!

joeyko2000
07-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks, Stu. The chain looks awesome. Nothing better! However, it is very, very tedious to put together. You have to be very careful in hammering it together, making sure that the connections are flattened enough to hold it together.

I did use mostly Tamiya colors. On most of the metallic colors, I used Alclad paints. Most of the wires are Top Studio stuff. That set is really good. I recommend it. Easy to use, although I would make sure to have a reference like the Pitwalk to guide you.

I do love the "stock" cars, like WRC, BTCC, DTM, JGTC, etc. They're fun to watch and to build.

Daniel

The TS chain looks perfect, I have got 2 rings done last year and hopefully I will have more of them in my future builds too.
http://www.joeyko.com/diary/rossi_m1_sepang2004/20080727_1.jpg

KevHw
07-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks, Kev. The frame is alclad chrome. About that I'm very conflicted. The pics in the pitwalk show a darker, flat aluminum. But when you look at it in the MotoGP broadcasts, they are VERY polished and shiny. It's weird. It looks like two completely separate things.

From what I've searched when researching for this bike, I found one member using Alclad Polished Aluminium seemed to give good results. I would have thought chrome would be far too shiny. Maybe because your black base wasn't as glossy, the chrome had more of a matt finish, so yours still looks good :)
You have to be very careful in hammering it together, making sure that the connections are flattened enough to hold it together.So true! Wish I knew that before I started mine. I never expected the small pins to be so hard...I thought they would be more like solder. Assembling the chain is fairly easy, the only problems I had were hammering.

racer93
07-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Dude! great looking build! what did you use for the fuel tank welds? I like to use the corner of a small tube to get the '))))))))))' effect on heat stretched plastic. The brakes look awesome!

Thanks for the comments, guys! The welds were 0.3mm solder crushed by pliers. It makes a convincing effect.

It's too bad that the pic of the rear brake is a bit fuzzy because I sanded the p/e part to make it look like it's used. It turned out beautifully. I guess you guys are just going to have to come here and see it in person to get the full effect! :lol:

A couple of more pics, as I've put in more wiring on the engine. Much, much more wiring and plumbing to come for the engine...yikes!

racer93
07-23-2009, 06:15 AM
From what I've searched when researching for this bike, I found one member using Alclad Polished Aluminium seemed to give good results. I would have thought chrome would be far too shiny. Maybe because your black base wasn't as glossy, the chrome had more of a matt finish, so yours still looks good :)

The frame turned out very shiny, but matching the pics when it's in natural light. I can't seem to get much of a difference between the Hi-polished aluminum and chrome. Is that everyone else's experience?

kans0002
07-23-2009, 01:32 PM
The frame turned out very shiny, but matching the pics when it's in natural light. I can't seem to get much of a difference between the Hi-polished aluminum and chrome. Is that everyone else's experience?

Per Alclad's website...make sure you apply the Chrome over a gloss black enamel base...the aluminum can be applied over any gloss black laquer base (I have used TS-14 with no issues).

racer93
07-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Per Alclad's website...make sure you apply the Chrome over a gloss black enamel base...the aluminum can be applied over any gloss black laquer base (I have used TS-14 with no issues).

Yep, I use both over alclad's black base (enamel). Still the same...

Maybe there is an issue with my airbrusing of it...what psi are you using for the enamel? I so infrequenly use enamels, I'm unsure what to set the psi at.

Daniel

baldwinc
07-23-2009, 03:32 PM
It's too bad so much detail has to be hidden away under those cowlings. I like this very much.

racer93
07-23-2009, 03:44 PM
It's too bad so much detail has to be hidden away under those cowlings. I like this very much.

I actually plan on displaying this without the cowling. I didn't like this livery, so I figured why not do a "naked" version of this one? :grinyes:

Daniel

Twowheelsrule
07-23-2009, 10:04 PM
This model is more than contest worthy! It looks like you are doing a great job on your bike, you should be proud!

Mark

kans0002
07-24-2009, 07:46 AM
I use the model master line and spray around 18 psi...seems to work ok for me. The gloss black from model masters is pretty thick, so I thin it down at just about a 1:1 ratio with the specific model masters brand thinner. I know one big problem I had when I first used Alclad was spraying it on too thick. I usually do not spray more than two "mist" coats from a decent distance away. I find that the more paint you add, the less realistic the chrome looks.

hth.

Stuart

joelwideqvist
07-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Great start! I think the tank welds are a nice touch!
/Joel

racer93
07-24-2009, 02:37 PM
I use the model master line and spray around 18 psi...seems to work ok for me. The gloss black from model masters is pretty thick, so I thin it down at just about a 1:1 ratio with the specific model masters brand thinner. I know one big problem I had when I first used Alclad was spraying it on too thick. I usually do not spray more than two "mist" coats from a decent distance away. I find that the more paint you add, the less realistic the chrome looks.

hth.

Stuart

I used the Alclad stuff and it was quite perfuse with orange peel. I sanded it down and polished it and that was very much better.

I have always heard to not be more than an inch away from the surface and use very, very light coats. I use maybe 3-4 coats of very light painting. That tends to work well. I think my problem lies in the application of the black undercoat.

Daniel

racer93
07-24-2009, 02:41 PM
One thing I'll point out that is different from the instructions is that the edges of the valve covers where it meets with the cylinder heads is chrome (it's actually cut metal--very bright) on the real bike. I've not seen anyone pay this attention, so I thought I might mention it to give any of you a tip that might help in detailing.

kans0002
07-27-2009, 08:56 AM
One thing I'll point out that is different from the instructions is that the edges of the valve covers where it meets with the cylinder heads is chrome (it's actually cut metal--very bright) on the real bike. I've not seen anyone pay this attention, so I thought I might mention it to give any of you a tip that might help in detailing.

thanks for the tip...you don't happen to have a picture do you?

racer93
07-27-2009, 10:01 AM
thanks for the tip...you don't happen to have a picture do you?

It's in the pitwalk guide and there's really no way I can scan it in. Sorry. I guess you'll have to take my word for it. It does look very similar to the way I've made it look on the engine. (Not to toot my own horn or anything...:uhoh:)

Daniel

guiwee
07-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Looks good to me. If you do that much detailing you have to have
cowlings off!! Anything else is a waste of time!! I too have this bike
and its partially painted.
Do you recommend the ts kit? Is it the superdetail kit?
Whats all included can you post shots?

joeyko2000
07-28-2009, 01:24 AM

Hi guiwee, probably you can find any of the TS detail kits' full instructions from their web site
http://www.topstudiohobby.com/

racer93
07-28-2009, 06:54 AM

I highly recommend any of the TS part and kits. They are top quality for decent prices. Much less than most other manufacturers...

I'll have some more pics up sometime today.

Daniel

racer93
07-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Here's a small update:

Exhaust is painted. Used alclad chrome, then alclad jet exhaust on in places (dark) and tamiya clear blue and clear orange and red mixed to make an amber sort of color. I also masked to mimic the look of some of the bent exhausts.
http://images52.fotki.com/v1554/photos/6/1544976/7798166/KonicaHonda004-vi.jpg
Sorry for the blur. Damn camera.
http://images49.fotki.com/v394/photos/6/1544976/7798166/KonicaHonda007-vi.jpg
Good view of the technique I was talking about. It's where small pieces of exhaust tubing are put together, resulting in a piecemeal effect.
http://images51.fotki.com/v1544/photos/6/1544976/7798166/KonicaHonda006-vi.jpg
You can see where I've started to add exhaust springs and see some of the discoloration effect of the exhaust.
http://images51.fotki.com/v1545/photos/6/1544976/7798166/KonicaHonda005-vi.jpg
For some reason on the real bike, only the side exhaust pipe has this 'piecemeal' effect. No other pipe has it, outside of the curly-q that is at the rear of the bike.
http://images50.fotki.com/v1558/photos/6/1544976/7798166/KonicaHonda001-vi.jpg
A view of the rear shock, with a view of the pneumatic line that teams use to "pump up" the rear shock, if needed. This line will go out over the rear mud guard.
http://images51.fotki.com/v1548/photos/6/1544976/7798166/KonicaHonda002-vi.jpg
A shot of the engine with the intake stacks and more wiring. Note the blue and white paint on the spark plug covers--this is to replicate stickers that are on the real engine.
http://images49.fotki.com/v1555/photos/6/1544976/7798166/KonicaHonda003-vi.jpg
Another shot of the engine.

Thanks for looking! Ask any questions and leave any comments you may have!

Daniel

Twowheelsrule
07-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Nice detail work! Your camera seems to take good pictures but, I think you need more light. I like the way you are doing your exhausts and with more light it will be easier to see your shading.

Keep it up!
Mark

racer93
07-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Nice detail work! Your camera seems to take good pictures but, I think you need more light. I like the way you are doing your exhausts and with more light it will be easier to see your shading.

Keep it up!
Mark

Thanks, Mark.

This is where my frustrations come in. I took these pictures less than 6" away from the flourescent shop light that is over my work bench! Everything I've looked up on AF and online says nothing about the features my camera has. I really feel like beating my head to a bloody pulp over this whole picture issue...:banghead:

Could someone give a link to a good write up as to the settings one needs for good pics using a digital camera? FYI, I'm using a nikon coolpix s550. You'll have my eternal love and devotion and I'll placate a lot of the mods around here who keep yellin' at me to get better pics...

Daniel

Twowheelsrule
07-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Here is a long read about taking good photos in general. http://www.easyphotography.info/tips-on-how-to-take-good-pictures-using-your-digital-camera.htm

I think all you need is one more light on your subject to get rid of the shadows.

Mark

racer93
07-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Is the model (or the pics) so bad no one would comment? :headshake

Daniel

baldwinc
07-30-2009, 09:09 PM
The model is excellent so far, but I think there are not a lot of motorbike readers of this forum.

I am enjoying your work very much.

joelwideqvist
07-31-2009, 02:33 AM
Well your last update was just yesterday so I wouldn't start barking just yet...
I think the exhaust weathering looks terrific! Just the right proportion of the different shadings. Fun to hear you noticed that only one of the pipes seems welded together in that way you mention, I have never noticed that...
As for camera settings, first and foremost, try and locate tghe macro setting (usually symbolized by a flower), don't go too close to the object (I take pics from approx 4-5 inches away). Use good lighting (outdoors is good. When looking at some of your pics the object is blurry cause focus is on the background not on the object.
/Joel

joelwideqvist
07-31-2009, 05:42 AM
I had a look at your cameras manual, seems pretty straight forward. Set macro mode and be sure auto focus is enabled. From what I can read your camera puts a frame around what's "in focus". Press the shutter button half way and see if the picture is blurry on the screen. If not press all the way.

Most people are talking about the lighting but not why it is important. The digital cameras in general are pretty bad at taking indoor pictures. They are much more sensitive to different kinds of lighting and have a hard time deciding what is white. If the camera think say yellow is white this will have consequenses for the lighting in your pic. To solve this digital cameras work with something called white balance (WB). This feature is most often automatic but can be set to suit different types of lighting or you can even set the balance yourself and thereby telling the camera in what kind of lighting it's operating. I think it is hard to take good indoor pictures without a serious set up of lights and a conform background. So I take my pictures outside in the semishade. I don't take excellent photos but better than inside.

SOmething else that affects the picture is how steady you are. Inside the camera most often need more time to get a good picture than you are able to hold the camera steady, which is about .60 seconds. Try to use a tripod when taking the pics.

I know it's a jungle but there just try different set ups and you'll get the hang of it.

/Joel

kans0002
07-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Is the model (or the pics) so bad no one would comment? :headshake

Daniel
Hey Dan - sorry, for some reason I did not receive an email notification for the new thread postings. Anyways...looks awesome! Keep it up. This definitely puts my version to shame.:loser:

guiwee
04-28-2010, 01:04 AM
what happened to bike racer93?

YongGun Park
04-28-2010, 06:51 AM
WOW...

What a perfect WIP. Great!

Adam Baker
04-28-2010, 08:49 PM
You can always build a small photobooth.

There was a tutorial somewhere on the internet, that I found through one of hte modeling forums Im on, but I cant find it.

Anyway, it uses 4 or 5 pieces of foamcore board, depending on how large you make it. You take 2 full pieces for the top & bottom, and then you take 1 piece full length, cut to the height you want the booth to be, and then take the pieces for the sides and cut them to the correct length & height to match the height of the back, and the depth of the top & bottom pieces.

Take these parts, and you can either just carefully tape them together using packing tape, or you can glue them together w/ hot glue.

For light, you use 1 or 2 fluorescent lights that can be found at walmart. Hang them from the top w/ screws through the foamcore board. And your good to go.

Here are pictures of what mine looked like (I dont have it anymore, broke it apart b/c I had to move. I kept the lights though, so I can build another one eventually)

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/RangerMach1/Models/photobooth01.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/RangerMach1/Models/photobooth02.jpg

To give you an idea of how pic's w/ this setup came out, these pictures were taken in the booth.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/RangerMach1/Models/Ducati916/Ducati916_23.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/RangerMach1/Models/Nascar/KS%20Flag%20Car/flag_car10.jpg

These were also taken w/ the flash on the camera turned on. Having the flash helps, but you have to be careful b/c sometimes it will wash the picture out, so it helps to take 1 picture w/ and 1 picture w/o the flash, and preview them on your computer to see how they turn out, and then take pictures w/ the method that works better.

kans0002
04-29-2010, 08:26 AM
There was a tutorial somewhere on the internet, that I found through one of hte modeling forums Im on, but I cant find it.

that booth looks like the one on Alex's site, http://www.italianhorses.net/ (http://www.italianhorses.net/). (I hope he doesn't mind if we post links to his site)

Stuart

Adam Baker
04-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Ah, yup. That would be the tutorial that I found somewhere and followed. Thanks for the link, I couldnt find it anywhere.

Add your comment to this topic!