Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 325is No spark No fuel

JbJc64
07-20-2009, 12:03 PM
This car was worked on by a mechanic that told the owner the computer is bad. He finally found one used from Calif. matched numbers etc..Put the computer in and no start. Dont have fuel or spark, was told the new computer has to be programmed to the car. Is it true on the older models?
Any way to check the new computer (or old one) to make sure its good or bad without taking it to the dealer?

Not my car, trying to help a friend out.

Broken-wrench
07-20-2009, 11:19 PM
By any chance, did anyone pull the engine codes? I know this is beating a dead horse but you're really stuck with out those codes.

JbJc64
07-21-2009, 08:37 AM
I dont have the codes, I dont believe the codes were ever pulled. Is there a way to pull them from just the DME? The car wont start and would have to figure out a way to get it some where to pull them. Is the dealer the only ones who can pull them? I dont think the local parts stores can pull codes on OBD I.

Broken-wrench
07-21-2009, 08:53 AM
You can do a Google search on how to do it.

However, to pull your own codes, turn the key to the on position but do not start. Pump the gas pedal 5 or 10 times in 5 seconds and low & behold, the check engine light will begin to flash! The first set of flashes (count them) will be the first digit of the code. The second set of flashes will be the next digit and so on. They will repeat. Write them down and use the google search for what the codes mean. Or, you can buy a Chilton's manual. That's where I found out how to get them & their meaning. If it flashes I think it is a "1040" or something like that, it means no trouble in the computer. You'll have to check the codes for your year to get them correct.

Hope this helps. Perhaps a mod can make a sticky on pulling codes ...

JbJc64
07-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the info, I will do that this evening. I should get my DME Relay tomorrow, I will eliminate that possibility since I dont know if its the original relay.
I will let you know what I come up with.
Thanks again

JbJc64
07-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Turned the ignition to on, pump gas five times and light went out, came on for about 5 seconds - went out for a couple seconds- came on for about 2 seconds- back out for a couple - back on for 5 seconds. It kept this cycle going, what is it telling me? I havent found the codes on the web yet...still looking. You metioned a Chiltons book has good info on getting codes? I have a Haney book but not real impressed with it on this vehicle.

Broken-wrench
07-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Those flashes of the light were the codes the ECU was giving you. Try again. Look for pattern of flashes. Count the number of short flashes as those are the code digits, Example - - - - - - flashes of light equals 6. long intervals of nothing are meaning get ready for the next number in the code. Then it will start flashing another number.

samandy121
08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't think it is true. It is a BMW dealer or some independent facility.

Add your comment to this topic!