Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 toyota 4runner-key will not turn in the ignition

paulstransport
07-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Ihave a 2000 toyota 4runner and the key will not turn in the ignition.We bought a new key from the dealer and also tried wd-40 in the ignition,still no luck.

azumb
07-21-2009, 03:57 PM
I have bad news for you - You can't get a working replacement key for the 2000 4Runner. The 2000 4Runner was the first year that Toyota instituted the "engine immobilizer" design for anti-theft. There is a transponder in the key that coordinates with a chip (or something) in the engine and if it's not the ORIGINAL master key, the ignition will not turn. Worse, there is no way to re-program a replacement key.
I had the same problem after my original ignition switch went bad and I had to pay extra money to have a locksmith cut apart the bad ignition switch to get out the old tumblers so they could be put in the new ignition switch so my original key (which is linked to the engine) would work. Total hassle, but I'm relieved that it could be done because the Toyota dealership tells me that if I lose my master key, I have to replace the entire engine computer (to the tune of $500 - $600!!!) to get a key that will start the car.
As it stands, I guess Toyota figured out what a stupid system this was, so every 4Runner after the year 2000 has keys that can be "quickly and easily" re-programmed at the dealer. It's a shame that your dealer didn't know all of this before they sold you a key that doesn't work!
I called Toyota to file a complaint, but I think I'm going to write a letter, too.
Who's ever heard of paying $500-$600 for a lost key?!

Franco2112
07-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Try turning the steering wheel hard to the left while turning the key. Foot on brake.

Brian R.
07-28-2009, 08:34 AM
I have bad news for you - You can't get a working replacement key for the 2000 4Runner. The 2000 4Runner was the first year that Toyota instituted the "engine immobilizer" design for anti-theft. There is a transponder in the key that coordinates with a chip (or something) in the engine and if it's not the ORIGINAL master key, the ignition will not turn. Worse, there is no way to re-program a replacement key.
I had the same problem after my original ignition switch went bad and I had to pay extra money to have a locksmith cut apart the bad ignition switch to get out the old tumblers so they could be put in the new ignition switch so my original key (which is linked to the engine) would work. Total hassle, but I'm relieved that it could be done because the Toyota dealership tells me that if I lose my master key, I have to replace the entire engine computer (to the tune of $500 - $600!!!) to get a key that will start the car.
As it stands, I guess Toyota figured out what a stupid system this was, so every 4Runner after the year 2000 has keys that can be "quickly and easily" re-programmed at the dealer. It's a shame that your dealer didn't know all of this before they sold you a key that doesn't work!
I called Toyota to file a complaint, but I think I'm going to write a letter, too.
Who's ever heard of paying $500-$600 for a lost key?!

I think you are mistaken. The 2000 4Runner has no electronic key. Any duplicate key will start the engine. I own one.

bmoore8663
11-24-2013, 08:52 PM
My son has a 2000 Toyota 4Runner Unlimited, which he got used. It came with only one key and before he made copies of it, he lost it.

We were able to get a key made to unlock the door, but like it was stated in the earlier post, it would not turn the ignition.
Talked to several locksmiths and after giving one of them the VIN number, he said that would be over $500 to make a new ignition key.
Talked to the Toyota dealership, and they said that they could make a new key for $290, but that the car had to brought to the service department.
So we had the car towed to the dealership. Late the next day, I received a call from the customer service rep in the Repair center, stating that it would now be more because this particular vehicle had a computer that could not be reprogrammed. So the new cost would be $400 if the computer had never been replaced before, or $1,000 for the computer + the original $290 if it had been replaced before.
So after Toyota performed a VIN search to see if the original computer was in the car, we were told that a new computer would be ordered complimentary and we only had to pay the labor and the making of two ignition keys.
The computer came in three days later. But after installation and attempting to program it, they realized that the computer was identical to the original part (the one that was not programmable). So they ordered a second one. This second computer was checked and confirmed that it was the new version that could be programmed. We were all excited when they "guaranteed" the car would be ready in about two to three hours (including the installer's lunch break).
Unfortunately, another call came to say that this programmable computer could not be programmed to work with the car and they were now discussing the next step with Toyota.
Later, they called back to say they didn't know what was wrong this computer, but a new computer had been ordered.
When I asked for a status, I was put on hold where I waited until the main dealership operator picked up the call. I never got to talk back to the technician. Finally, after two days of no response or service status, we drove to the dealership (two weeks since the car was towed), only to finally be told it was the customer service tech's day off, but the part would be in on Wednesday, which is the day before Thanksgiving and the day after we would have already left to go out of town.
Currently, I have little faith that the dealership will be able to get this third computer to work. I am thinking that our best hope is to find a car in the salvage yard that had the new computer and ignition keys and replace the ones currently in my son's 4Runner.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Lubeman
11-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Probably the anti-theft lock. Just turn the steering wheel right or left 2 or 3 inches, turn key.

Add your comment to this topic!