Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Kinda random...

boostjunkie333
07-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Ok, so coming right off my turbo, the way its set in there, there is a 90 degree silicone elbow that joints the first intercooler pipe to it. right now, i have a heat sleeve velcrowed around it, to keep the manifold thats right underneath it from burning it up. My question is, does anyone know if they maybe make a sort of plate style heat shield...like those u can get for other things...like air intake filters..i was wondering if anyone has ever seen a heat shield in the shape of a 90 degree bend basically...

I have exhausted my resources...cant find it...advice on making one maybe?

The purpose is bc the material from the sleeve on there now is slowly unraveling and making a mess of strings everywhere...and its ugly

SilvrEclipse
07-18-2009, 09:37 AM
You are deffinately going to have to make something. You could just wrap it in heat wrap.

david-b
07-18-2009, 09:59 AM
I would say get a 90* bend and use smaller couplers to connect it to the rest of the IC piping.

I never understood on the Hahn kits why you just don't take off the compressor housing and rotate the outlet downward. Is it because the piping is all precut to fit that exact placement? If so, I'd buy an extra piece and make it happen better. My t3 is shooting straight down and travels along the bottom of the radiator to the FMIC.

SilvrEclipse
07-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Dave - This would be the ideal setup but you cant clock him compressor housing because of the internal wastegate. Hahn could have designed it like that but for some reason they thought this was better.

david-b
07-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Dave - This would be the ideal setup but you cant clock him compressor housing because of the internal wastegate. Hahn could have designed it like that but for some reason they thought this was better.

Ah. I didn't know people use the internal gate on the Hahn setups. Always hated that 90* turn right off the housing. Looks bad and non-efficient.

boostjunkie333
07-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Yeah this turbo can't be modded or anything...and all the intercooler pipes came with the kit, all pre cut, and the instructions are such that it tells you exactly which pipe goes where, ect.

So, some sort of bandage heat tape...would do the trick? Proctect the coupler further from high temperatures?

SilvrEclipse
07-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Just buy some exhaust wrap, it will do the trick and look clean

boostjunkie333
07-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Good idea...some black heat wrap...thatll be much better looking...thanks man:tongue:

boostjunkie333
07-20-2009, 12:48 AM
something like this will do good?

http://prosportgauges.com/fiberglass-header-wrap-1.aspx

david-b
07-20-2009, 08:32 AM
something like this will do good?

http://prosportgauges.com/fiberglass-header-wrap-1.aspx

Yes

Add your comment to this topic!